Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone help i don't understand what happens to the p.d across a thermistor as its temperature increases.

I understand the resistance decreases and that the current increases but how do you explain the p.d across it. Does the current increase at a lower rate then the resistance decreases?

How would you explain how the p.d changes as the temperature of the thermistor increases?

This is for an NTC thermistor in a potential divider circuit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebearissquare)
    Could anyone help i don't understand what happens to the p.d across a thermistor as its temperature increases.

I understand the resistance decreases and that the current increases but how do you explain the p.d across it. Does the current increase at a lower rate then the resistance decreases?
    in a potential divider the current depends on the resistance of the series resistors added together, if one of the resistors is lowering in value (i.e. a thermistor) the current has to increase and the proportion of the total pd appearing across the thermistor decreases ... but the effect on the output of the circuit will depend on the component values.

e.g. if you've got a thermistor that starts at 1k ohm and goes down to 500 ohm it's not going to make a dramatic difference to the output if it's in series with a 1M ohm fixed resistor... you'd be trying to measure a change of roughly 1/1000 th of the input voltage.

if the resistances are more similar it works out differently

How would you explain how the p.d changes as the temperature of the thermistor increases?

This is for an NTC thermistor in a potential divider circuit

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.