The Student Room Group

is taraweeh 20 or 8 bruv

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I dont think it matters, not sure though
Original post by undercxver
So even for females its the same thing as males?

I know that the actual prayer is different for females. But how many? 8 or 20? :hmmmm:

Why would it be different?
I did 8 today but the mosque I went to do 20 rakats. We go along with the imam as normal (segregated of course)

Like others have stated already, 8 is the minimum and 20 is the max. The option is yours since taraweeh is essentially sunnah prayer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
20. Bruv.
Reply 23
Lol I've seen people bopping home after 2 and I'm like "take me with you plz".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ive always done 8 but both 8 and 20 are accepted.
Original post by bat_man
taraweeh isnt even a must, its optional, although majority of people do actually do it because you get reward ofc. You can do however much you want. Some people leave at 8, some people leave at 20. The more the better i guess but its not a strict must to perform.
it's sunnat e mokada m8.
Original post by macsalaama
I did 8 today but the mosque I went to do 20 rakats. We go along with the imam as normal (segregated of course)

Like others have stated already, 8 is the minimum and 20 is the max. The option is yours since taraweeh is essentially sunnah prayer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm confused...
Original post by champ_mc99
I'm confused...

Why?:confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
I have always done 20.
Reply 30
Assalamualaikum and Ramadan Mubarak!

The Sunnah is 8+3 Witr. However, the Prophet (SAW) said it should be prayed two by two, without specifying any amount. So, you can read either 2, 8, 20, or even 2 million😂.

If you wish to follow the Sunnah though, it is 8 and 3 witr afterwards.

Thought you left?
Original post by champ_mc99
Thought you left?

Oh :mmm:

Long story short, I still live at home so coming out to my family as an ex-muslim would just be selfish and cause unnecessary discord. I was asked to come along to pray taraweeh with my mum and I agreed.
I'm not a fan of Ramadan or taraweeh but going along with the motions won't do me any harm.

I hope that makes it less confusing :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh sorry I didn't make my question clear. I was asking how to pray at home?
Original post by undercxver
Oh sorry I didn't make my question clear. I was asking how to pray at home?

Oh, do you mean at home with just women?

I don't know how accurate this is but when I pray taraweeh or even just jamat with just women we usually stand in a line and whoever is leading will be in the middle. If it's just two people the one leading will be on the left.
If there are both men and women (family of course) then the men will be in a line at the front, women at the back (pretty standard format). Again, whoever is leading will stand in the middle or on the left if there are just 2 men.

I don't know if this is the norm or a Shafi' thing but growing up that's how I've done it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on your mosque
And taraweeh is Sunnah so it doesn't matter tbh
You read as much as you want

And you cannot use toothpaste whilst fasting regardless of whether you swallow it or not

Therefore you should use toothpaste at sehri instead

Also what you can do is use a normal brush with just water but you have to be very careful because if your gums or teeth bleed even one bit then your fast will become makrooh
Reply 36
Original post by Lilly123456
It depends on your mosque
And taraweeh is Sunnah so it doesn't matter tbh
You read as much as you want

And you cannot use toothpaste whilst fasting regardless of whether you swallow it or not

Therefore you should use toothpaste at sehri instead

Also what you can do is use a normal brush with just water but you have to be very careful because if your gums or teeth bleed even one bit then your fast will become makrooh

Assalamu'alaikum and Ramadan Mubarak!

You are right about Tarawih, it doesn't matter how many you pray. But if you want to follow the Sunnah, then 8 and 3 witr.

As for using toothpaste whilst fasting, the 4 imams/madhabs and majority of the scholarly consensus are in agreement that using toothpaste does NOT invalidate ones fast.

https://islamqa.info/en/13619
en.islamtoday.net/quesshow-56-1704.htm

Unless you swallow it or ingest it, then your fast is invalidated. However, it is disliked to brushing ones teeth with toothpaste, not haraam.

Jazak'Allah Khair
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh :mmm:

Long story short, I still live at home so coming out to my family as an ex-muslim would just be selfish and cause unnecessary discord. I was asked to come along to pray taraweeh with my mum and I agreed.
I'm not a fan of Ramadan or taraweeh but going along with the motions won't do me any harm.

I hope that makes it less confusing :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I just thought you came out. Must be kinda awkward though lol
Original post by KingK27
Assalamualaikum and Ramadan Mubarak!

The Sunnah is 8+3 Witr. However, the Prophet (SAW) said it should be prayed two by two, without specifying any amount. So, you can read either 2, 8, 20, or even 2 million😂.

If you wish to follow the Sunnah though, it is 8 and 3 witr afterwards.

Common mistake. Afaik the 8 is referring to tahajudd
Oh, do you mean at home with just women?

I don't know how accurate this is but when I pray taraweeh or even just jamat with just women we usually stand in a line and whoever is leading will be in the middle. If it's just two people the one leading will be on the left.
If there are both men and women (family of course) then the men will be in a line at the front, women at the back (pretty standard format). Again, whoever is leading will stand in the middle or on the left if there are just 2 men.

I don't know if this is the norm or a Shafi' thing but growing up that's how I've done it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, yeah I know that bit. I was wondering the actual way to pray it. Like is it the same going through the Qur'an or is it like a normal 2 rakah nafl? I'm hearing so many different views on this. :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending