Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it still possible for me to get an A* overall? (A-Level) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My uni offer is A*AA and I'm doing english lit, history and french. On track for A* in english lit, but I'm not going to get an A in french (worked it out and would still be 5 marks off an A overall, even if I didn't drop any in my A2 exam next week which I'm gutted about). I want to know if it's possible to get an A* in History as well as English so I'd get A*A*B- this would still get me into my first choice uni. So with the following numbers, is it still possible for me to get an A*?

I'm doing Edexcel History (old spec):

AS (2 Units, civil/Mao and Tudors) : I got 82% in Civil rights/Mao and I've now retaken Tudors, *hopefully* this will be 80% or above for an A overall at AS.

A2 (coursework and exam): I got 88% in my coursework; does this mean I would have to get 92% or above in my A2 Tudors exam to average 90% overall for the exam?

If anyone could help me with this it would be very much appreciated, thankyou
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by KatMcG)
    Hi,

My uni offer is A*AA and I'm doing english lit, history and french. On track for A* in english lit, but I'm not going to get an A in french (worked it out and would still be 5 marks off an A overall, even if I didn't drop any in my A2 exam next week which I'm gutted about). I want to know if it's possible to get an A* in History as well as English so I'd get A*A*B- this would still get me into my first choice uni. So with the following numbers, is it still possible for me to get an A*?

I'm doing Edexcel History (old spec):

AS (2 Units, civil/Mao and Tudors) : I got 82% in Civil rights/Mao and I've now retaken Tudors, *hopefully* this will be 80% or above for an A overall at AS.

A2 (coursework and exam): I got 88% in my coursework; does this mean I would have to get 92% or above in my A2 Tudors exam to average 90% overall for the exam?

If anyone could help me with this it would be very much appreciated, thankyou
    Is this your spec? I can't quite tell, as the content doesn't seem to match up with your topics.

Anyway, on the off chance that it is, the coursework is 40% and the exam is 60%, and you need your A2 marks to be 90 or greater on average. So you'd want 88*0.4 + marks * 0.6 > 90, so you'd need to get 91.333% or greater in your other exam.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.