Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm really not enjoying A Levels, the content is difficult but not impossible, however I have no motivation to study and feel as though I am wasting my time. The goal is to be a pilot, and whilst many people have the misconception that you need degrees etc to be a pilot, I can tell you that this is not the case.

I know people that have not even been to college and are now recently qualified pilots flying for certain low-cost carriers.

I'm in a position to go into work, that will pay for my training bit by bit which should put me in a position where I can apply to an airline for a job.

My question is aimed at those that know about the airline industry and recruitment. Is it sensible to just go for it or should I stick it out for another year?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Channex)
    Hi,

I'm really not enjoying A Levels, the content is difficult but not impossible, however I have no motivation to study and feel as though I am wasting my time. The goal is to be a pilot, and whilst many people have the misconception that you need degrees etc to be a pilot, I can tell you that this is not the case.

I know people that have not even been to college and are now recently qualified pilots flying for certain low-cost carriers.

I'm in a position to go into work, that will pay for my training bit by bit which should put me in a position where I can apply to an airline for a job.

My question is aimed at those that know about the airline industry and recruitment. Is it sensible to just go for it or should I stick it out for another year?

Thanks
    Commercial pilot roles are very competitive and therefore most pilots have degrees to give them an edge. Also, if you leave school without any qualifications you will have a low paying job and it will take you long to save up for a licence. WHy not just stick through it, give it your all, get a degree, work for a 5 years( at a higher salary) and then get your licence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by life.of.pablo)
    Commercial pilot roles are very competitive and therefore most pilots have degrees to give them an edge. Also, if you leave school without any qualifications you will have a low paying job and it will take you long to save up for a licence. WHy not just stick through it, give it your all, get a degree, work for a 5 years( at a higher salary) and then get your licence.
    I have very good GCSE results, the job I am at now will pay enough for me to train. I don't need any qualifications to start training, and the airlines only state they need certain flying hours and licences, though I agree with you when you say they will prefer people with degrees etc. It's a tough call

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Channex)
    I have very good GCSE results, the job I am at now will pay enough for me to train. I don't need any qualifications to start training, and the airlines only state they need certain flying hours and licences, though I agree with you when you say they will prefer people with degrees etc. It's a tough call
    Everyone has GCSEs, and A Levels are well respected because of how difficult they are.

You need to consider backup options for being a Pilot. I'm not saying it's impossible but as said above, it is very competitive. Finding a good job nowadays is difficult, and you need to do whatever you can to boost yourself.

And besides, if you don't find the content impossible, I don't really see why you'd stop. You've already done a whole year and learned the content, it would be a waste to just give up. However, if you're not enjoying them, it's up to you to do what makes you happy. But if it's simply out of laziness or a lack of motivation, I'm just the same, but I'd still stick at it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.