Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya guys,

I've just got something I need addressing, basically, I've wanted to do medicine pretty much since high school but since I've started college. I've begun having doubts about whether medicine is right for me and stuff like "I'll make a mistake on the job" or whether i can handle someone's life in my hands" This has really confused me and I've started to look at courses like neuroscience, which I've ben fascinated with butttt, I really want to work with people and I don't really like lab work.

Has anyone been in this position before or have a similar experience and shed some light on this?

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just become a GP? You help people and there life isn't exactly hanging in the balance at that very point. There's lots of other specialities as well. Have a look at the NHS website.

ReputationRep:
    That's something I worried about too then I realised that's what the 5 years of medical school and the foundation training is for so by the time we have that responsibility we'd be trained and prepared. Don't let that deter you if that's your only doubt.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    Why don't you just become a GP? You help people and there life isn't exactly hanging in the balance at that very point. There's lots of other specialities as well. Have a look at the NHS website.
    If pressure and chance of mistakes is the problem, I wouldn't be suggesting GP! You're relatively alone, often a lot of pressure to prescribe/refer, and inevitably you will make mistakes (generally more than other specialities as you don't have access to easy investigations, or at least that's how the public sees it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loyale)
    Hiya guys,

I've just got something I need addressing, basically, I've wanted to do medicine pretty much since high school but since I've started college. I've begun having doubts about whether medicine is right for me and stuff like "I'll make a mistake on the job" or whether i can handle someone's life in my hands" This has really confused me and I've started to look at courses like neuroscience, which I've ben fascinated with butttt, I really want to work with people and I don't really like lab work.

Has anyone been in this position before or have a similar experience and shed some light on this?
    It's just a matter of finding a speciality which suits you. Not all specialities require making immediate decisions where you can make mistakes which are unrepairable. I agree that GP is probably quite stressful. Time is limited and you don't have much control over patients. Psychiatry is a possibility. You have more time with patients. GU medicine / Sexual health is another one, as is dermatology.

But you know generally you will learn your trade and you will learn to make decisions. Also people don't just die on you (well not often anyway) and when they do it's rarely your fault. So, first go through med school and then you will find a speciality that suits your way of thinking.

ReputationRep:
    I actually love you guys, thanks!, I swear I thought of quitting and just becoming a teacher or something...

But y'all gave me good advice

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.