Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

any good trips to norway? anyone wanna come with me? Watch

ReputationRep:
    i wanna go norway. can go cycling, hiking, glacier walking, visit the cities of oslo and see the beautiful landscapes. does anyone know some good deals and does anyone wanna come with me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicelephant)
    i wanna go norway. can go cycling, hiking, glacier walking, visit the cities of oslo and see the beautiful landscapes. does anyone know some good deals and does anyone wanna come with me?
    depends, do you like black metal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    depends, do you like black metal?
    i dont really know what that is, i used to listen to bullet for my valentine and stuff like that so i guess so

how come?

ReputationRep:
    I recommend the west coast. Trondheim is nice.

Oslo is a bit boring.

ReputationRep:
    i dont really know what that is, i used to listen to bullet for my valentine and stuff like that so i guess so

how come?
    I'm afraid I can't join you then :cry2:

Norway is the birth place of black metal!
    The scene has got some damn good stories surrounding it's early years :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)

Oslo is a bit boring.
    do i book myself? do i go on a tour or just go to hotels or something? is it expensive? is it weird to go by myself or do u wanna come

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid I can't join you then :cry2:

Norway is the birth place of black metal!
    The scene has got some damn good stories surrounding it's early years :yep:
    haha, id be down for trying something new!

do u wanna come

ReputationRep:
    haha, id be down for trying something new!

do u wanna come
    I'm sure you're a lovely person irl, but going abroad with a stranger from the internet seems like a good way to get murdered :lol:
    I wish you luck though, perhaps i might see you in Norway

ReputationRep:
    do i book myself? do i go on a tour or just go to hotels or something? is it expensive? is it weird to go by myself or do u wanna come
    I don't think you'll get anywhere asking people online to go with you...

There are tours but I never went on any. Rail travel is pretty cheap if you book in advance and you can get ferries along wth coast/to lots of islands.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you're a lovely person irl, but going abroad with a stranger from the internet seems like a good way to get murdered :lol:
    I wish you luck though, perhaps i might see you in Norway
    rahhh

will norway be cheap to visit? could i just do it myself by flying there then just winging it myself

ReputationRep:
    More than you could imagine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    More than you could imagine.
    is there a way i can do it cheap? are there any other good countries to explore which is cheap and has great wildlife and spectacular views like norway

ReputationRep:
    rahhh

will norway be cheap to visit? could i just do it myself by flying there then just winging it myself
    Not sure if it's expensive, but I don't see you couldn't go alone. It's one of the friendliest places in the world and it's not too far

ReputationRep:
    Are you good looking? And how old are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BWV1007)
    Are you good looking? And how old are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    21 and yes i am

ReputationRep:
    is there a way i can do it cheap? are there any other good countries to explore which is cheap and has great wildlife and spectacular views like norway
    go camping?

Austria? Croatia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    go camping?

Austria? Croatia?
    will u come with me?

ReputationRep:
    trondheim, bergen, olden

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)

Oslo is a bit boring.
    I can vouch for Oslo being boring. If you're going to go to Oslo you might as well go to one of the bigger Scandi capitals, they both offer everything Oslo has to offer and more, as well as being cheaper. I did a massive comment about Bergen a few weeks ago, I've copied and pasted it below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been to Bergen (second biggest city in Norway) and had train connections in Oslo.

From what I've heard Oslo is a very boring city and there's not much going on; supposedly nowhere near as good as its Scandi cousins Stockholm and Copenhagen (both of which I have visited and can vouch for being amazing - Stockholm being my favourite of the two). Having said that, if you are planning on travelling around the whole of Norway you will probably need to make Oslo your main base since it's relatively central and connections between other cities are very limited unless you go through Oslo first... and this will take a pretty long time too since Norway is a large country.

I got into Oslo from Stockholm on the train and from there got the train to Bergen. I had a 2 hour wait in Oslo so I went over to the Opera House (since it's just outside the central station) and stood on the roof. It's a cool looking building on the inside too.

The Olso-Bergen line is one of the most beautiful train journies in the world and some people buy tickets just to look out of the window. It's about 6hrs 30mins and you go through forests, fjords, permanent snow and glaciers - even in the middle of summer when I went, it's really incredible. I also got the train back to Oslo from Bergen but on the way back it was a night train since it made travelling quicker (since I had to get another train in Oslo, and then another train in Gothenburg to get to Copenhagen), plus I'd already seen outside so why not sleep through it?

I was in Bergen for 2 nights/3 days. I stayed at the Intermission Hostel which was both the cheapest option in Bergen, and also the nicest/best rated hostel. It's conveniently located right next to the train station.

When in Bergen you have to go up the Fløibanen to the top of Fløyen. The view was incredible (yeah that's me near the top right on the edge.. the picture doesn't do it justice as to how high up and close to the edge I was... and if I fell off I totally would have died. But I got a sick profile pic for Facebook so I don't care ), definitely one of the best moments on my trip. I didn't hike as I didn't have the equipment but people also staying at Intermission hiked both Fløyen and Ulriken and said it was amazing. I think they also camped overnight on one of the mountains. I did decide to walk down though as it was a lot easier - got to see a little bit of nature too.

There was a stall on the fishmarket that was selling reindeer burgers for 40kr which were absolutely delicious, I'd highly suggest getting one if you're a meat eater. Also if you linger around any of the stalls long enough and hint at wanting to try some of the food you'll get some! Just promise the people behind the stalls you'll come back later.... although obviously you don't have to go back. There was also a cool little restaurant called Fish Me that had some great food.

Next to the market is Bryggen with all of the old wooden buildings and funky shops. Definitely worth looking around and getting a load of good pictures.

Definitely an expensive country though, no doubt about that. My ex and I had 1500kr for 2/3 days (not including accommodation and transport) and it didn't get us very far. We weren't exactly strapped for cash, but you'll see your money go a lot further in other countries, even the other stereotypically expensive Scandi countries mentioned earlier!

I'm by no means an expert - but if you have any questions about Bergen I'll happily do my best to answer them.

ReputationRep:
    Norway is expensive, Denmark comes next and Sweden is cheapest.

We were in Norway about 10 years ago, four burgers with fries, three cokes and one coffee in a bar in Bergen was circa £65. We were self catering so took most of our food with us from Sweden as we holidayed in Sweden first (we have a house there) and then drove to Norway.

Road travel in Norway can be slower than one thinks looking at the map, the roads to the west wind, so whilst the distance drawn on the map does not look too far it seems to take forever to travel, and speed limits are observed-the road tunnels are stunning re scale and the various car/passenger ferries are really worthwhile re the views. Guided tours on a glacier are good fun and the scenery is stunning.

As stated eating out in Scandinavia can be pricey.

In Sweden roadside eateries in the countryside are in the main pretty poor .There are great restaurants in the cities but tend to be pricier, think London food prices but more expensive alcohol.

Whilst eating out in Sweden can also be expensive if you make lunch your main meal of the day and look out for Dagg Ratt you should manage hot lunch with a drink for circa £9-£12 depending on where you are.

Sweden in its south/middle is fairly flat with trees everywhere and lakes everywhere. (and in the forests in summmer insects everywhere) It is easier to get around and is incredibly tranquil (we are near Tiveden in the middle between Gothenburg and Stockholm) We are there to do few tourist activities and more to relax-read, go for walks, barbecues or out in the boat fishing.

We travel to Sweden every year but are self catering and supermarket costs are possibly only 10-15% more than here (though meat other than pork can be a little pricey) and for some reason power tools are about 40% more expensive.

I have not been to Denmark for a while but based on the odd roadside stop when driving to Sweden it seems slightly more expensive than Sweden. Weather wise it is either really hot or torrential when we drive across, Denmark can really rain. (Only time I have ever had to pull car of a motorway as could barely see)

So, as an earlier poster said, take a fair bit of money if visiting Norway slightly less needed re Sweden.

If money is an issue try not to drink in bars.,in Sweden alcohol over about 3.5 proof cannot be bought in a supermarkets it needs bought in a government shop, Systembolag, so watch out re their opening times.

Hope you enjoy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.