Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in an ever so slight rush to get all my work done, and thankfully I am nearly entirely done. However, upon reading the specification for the final piece of work, I have been utterly dumbfounded.

The specification is as follows:
    You need to compile a report on different levels of sex hormones in the menstrual cycle in relation to fertility
    • Comment on the evidence available, much of which is in a graphical form
    • Analyse the data, interpret it and relate it to the physiology of the reproductive system and comment on its effect on fertility and the menstrual cycle
    • Ensure that your report focuses on hormonal changes in males as well as females
    • Diagrams are crucial in explaining how the hormones are targeting organs and tissues

Now, unless I'm mistaken there is no way that the different levels of sex hormones in the menstrual cycle in relation to fertility could possibly effect the hormone levels in males.

Hopefully this is just me failing to look at this from the right angle, so could anyone clarify what the third point is actually asking me to do?

ReputationRep:
    Your observation is correct, perhaps one thing you could do is a quick comparison? So while you are speaking about the female hormone flactuations you could say in females this happens as opposed to/ similar to what happens in men?

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest that it is trying to guide you towards showing that the degree of changes with the female's hormones is significantly larger than the changes that men experience normally.

E.g. men will fluctuate between 75% to 125% of the average, whereas during menstruation women will produce 500% the average amount, which is obviously much much larger (figures obviously totally made up).

I agree it is poorly worded and I would consider clarifying with the person who will be marking this. While what I've said above seems like the rational interpretation (to me), if they have a different interpretation you could be penalised through no fault of your own.

ReputationRep:
    After talking to the teacher who set it, she explained to me that all I had to do to satisfy that point was to talk about how male hormones (specifically testosterone) affects fertility and the menstrual cycle. Apparently testosterone improves a women's fertility.

Regardless, thank you all for replying and trying to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Verily British)
    After talking to the teacher who set it, she explained to me that all I had to do to satisfy that point was to talk about how male hormones (specifically testosterone) affects fertility and the menstrual cycle. Apparently testosterone improves a women's fertility.

Regardless, thank you all for replying and trying to help.
    Glad you got it cleared up. Clearly demonstrates that what we interpret it as may not be the same as the marker's interpretation!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.