Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm really stuck on part c of this question, when does it become taut, why and what does it mean?:

Two particles, A and B are connected by a light inextensible string which passes over a smooth, fixed pulley. A has a mass of 7kg and B has a mass of 3kg. The particles are released from rest with the string taut, and A falls until it strikes the ground at a speed of 5.9ms-1. Assume that A does not rebound after hitting the ground.

a) Find the time taken for A to hit the ground.

b) How far will B have travelled when A hits the ground?

c) Find the time (in s) from when A hits the ground until the string becomes taut again.

If you can help I'd be very greatful. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrainJuice)
    I'm really stuck on part c of this question, when does it become taut, why and what does it mean?:

Two particles, A and B are connected by a light inextensible string which passes over a smooth, fixed pulley. A has a mass of 7kg and B has a mass of 3kg. The particles are released from rest with the string taut, and A falls until it strikes the ground at a speed of 5.9ms-1. Assume that A does not rebound after hitting the ground.

a) Find the time taken for A to hit the ground.

b) How far will B have travelled when A hits the ground?

c) Find the time (in s) from when A hits the ground until the string becomes taut again.

If you can help I'd be very greatful. Thanks.
    So for a) I got 1.505s and b) I got 2.95m
    For c) the string becomes slack when A hits the ground (meaning the string has no tension). This means particle B is travelling freely under gravity when partice A hits the ground.
    You can use suvat to work out the time it takes for B to reach it's maximum height by using v=u+at. Where v=0 and u=5.9 and a=-g I got t at this point to be 0.602 seconds. Add it on to your previous answer at a) and you should get 2.107 seconds.
    So that is the time it takes to reach max height. Now the particle falls back down and the string becomes taut again (meaning it has tension). Assuming air resistance is negligible. It should take 0.602 seconds again to the point of the string being taut because the particle is still moving freely under gravity, so 0.602*2+1.505=2.71 seconds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funnycatvideos)
    For c) the string becomes slack when A hits the ground (meaning the string has no tension). This means particle B is travelling freely under gravity when partice A hits the ground.
    You can use suvat to work out the time it takes for B to reach it's maximum height by using v=u+at. Where v=0 and u=5.9 and a=-g I got t at this point to be 0.602 seconds. Add it on to your previous answer at a) and you should get 2.107 seconds.
    So that is the time it takes to reach max height. Now the particle falls back down and the string becomes taut again (meaning it has tension). Assuming air resistance is negligible. It should take 0.602 seconds again to the point of the string being taut because the particle is still moving freely under gravity, so 0.602*2+1.505=2.71 seconds
    Thanks! but the mark scheme says that b is 4.44m and c is 1.20s.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Thanks! but the mark scheme says that b is 4.44m and c is 1.20s.
    String is taut whilst B is descending. When B hits the ground, both A and B are travelling at 5.9ms-1. B comes instantaneously to rest, but A carries on now moving under gravity and the string is slack. A travels up to a maximum height and then back down until it gets to the point where it first went slack. See below.

Funnycatvideos's working was more or less correct for c), in that it is 2 x 0.602 = 1.2...

There's no requirement to add the time from part a), as during that motion, the string was taut, and we're only interested in when the string was slack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    String is taut whilst B is descending. When B hits the ground, both A and B are travelling at 5.9ms-1. B comes instantaneously to rest, but A carries on now moving under gravity and the string is slack. A travels up to a maximum height and then back down until it gets to the point where it first went slack.

Funnycatvideos's working was more or less correct for c), in that it is 2 x 0.602 = 1.2...

There's no requirement to add the time from part a), as during that motion, the string was taut, and we're only interested in when the string was slack.
    Thanks but I'm still having great trouble in understand why the string becomes tense when B is at it's starting position but on the other side. Surely it would be falling at that point and the string would be slack?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks but I'm still having great trouble in understand why the string becomes tense when B is at it's starting position but on the other side. Surely it would be falling at that point and the string would be slack?
    Read it wrong. Whoops. Got 1.2 in the end anyway
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Sorry, I got the A and B the wrong way round. Post should read:

String is taut whilst A is descending. When A hits the ground, both A and B are travelling at 5.9ms-1. A comes instantaneously to rest (and remains there on the ground), but B carries on moving upwards, now moving under gravity, and the string is slack. B travels up to a maximum height and then back down until it gets to the point where it first went slack - which is the point it was at when A reached the ground.

Edit: Another thread on this question came up a few days ago and I did a diagram at the time, unfortunately I haven't kept it, and the search facility is proving useless.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I got the A and B the wrong way round. Post should read:

String is taut whilst A is descending. When A hits the ground, both A and B are travelling at 5.9ms-1. A comes instantaneously to rest (and remains there on the ground), but B carries on moving upwards, now moving under gravity, and the string is slack. B travels up to a maximum height and then back down until it gets to the point where it first went slack - which is the point it was at when A reached the ground.

Edit: Another thread on this question came up a few days ago and I did a diagram at the time, unfortunately I haven't kept it, and the search facility is proving useless.
    Thanks, it's a bit hard to understand but I think I got it and you guys definitely helped.

ReputationRep:
    Was this:

Thanks, it's a bit hard to understand but I think I got it and you guys definitely helped.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Was this:
    That's the one - well found.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funnycatvideos)
    Why is u= 5.9? Is it because B only moves upwards once A reaches the ground.. and as they both have the same acceleration u would be A's final velocity???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starmock99)
    Why is u= 5.9? Is it because B only moves upwards once A reaches the ground.. and as they both have the same acceleration u would be A's final velocity???
    Because A hits the ground at 5.9ms^-1 while the string was taut. The particles move at the same acceleration when the strings are taut and so they travel at the same velocity too becausre they start from rest. So the very instant the sting becomes slack B is travelling at an initial velocity of 5.9

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.