Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Britain is stronger in EU... it reflects the values my generation fought for in WW2" watch

ReputationRep:
    This video is beautiful.

https://youtu.be/CvKiRYlDslQ

I've seen a lot of leave voters saying "THIS ISN'T WHAT MY ANCESTORS FOUGHT FOR IN WW2!!!", but none of them ever actually bothered to ask their ancestors what they thought.

I think this video really highlights the difference between the two campaigns. Vote Leave have spent billions on telling scary lies, making things up to make the EU sound evil and fascist and authoritarian. The remain campaign are showing us what people like about the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely delusional.

Didn't you post a thread a week ago saying 'old people are destroying the UK'? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4100733

Now, you find someone who supports your position and suddenly 'ancestors' are the best thing since sliced bread.

The only thing you admire is your own views. If people disagree with you, they are 'destroying the UK.' if they agree with you, suddenly they're your new favourite person!

Mental.

As for anyone who thinks the remain camp is running a positive campaign, well...

SS

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I have made up my mind a long time ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    Absolutely delusional.

Didn't you post a thread a week ago saying 'old people are destroying the UK'? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4100733

Now, you find someone who supports your position and suddenly 'ancestors' are the best thing since sliced bread.

The only thing you admire is your own views. If people disagree with you, they are 'destroying the UK.' if they agree with you, suddenly they're you're new favourite person.

Mental.

As for anyone who thinks the remain camp is running a positive campaign, well...

SS
    Nah, people are destroying the UK when they're willing to sacrifice our economy for **** like "sovereignty" that's not even real. Of course I dislike people who spread utter lies and try to dictate my future based on those lies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Nah, people are destroying the UK when they're willing to sacrifice our economy for **** like "sovereignty" that's not even real. Of course I dislike people who spread utter lies and try to dictate my future based on those lies.
    ok mate

ReputationRep:
    it reflects the values my generation ought for in WWII
    really? because I thought our grandparents' generation fought for freedom/democracy and independence in WWII, not a continental imperial government like the nazis tried?

ReputationRep:
    What a shame; I wrote out a post, and my browser crashed before I posted it. (Was concentrating on another post in another tab.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    really? because I thought our grandparents' generation fought for freedom/democracy and independence in WWII, not a continental imperial government like the nazis tried?
    He got confused in all those history books.

ReputationRep:
    grandparents fought for **** all, britain came too late into the war. It was the USSR that bleed to free europe, we sat and watched as the USSR and nazi's got weaker and weaker. USSR too most of the nazi's best tanks out and killed most their men.
    we fought for democracy in the west, we gave the east away, since **** eastern europeans.
    including WW2 in this debate is pretty worthless, since there so many things that happened before,during and after it. It could support both sides, but overall, its a bygone era. The EU (steel and coal union ? ) was made to take the USSR down and it worked ... i think the country that most lost out was the poor ol' USSR. anyways .
    My grandfathers are both dead, so who knows why they fought, but seeing as both of them were poor ... one dying of working in the mines and smoking so much his lungs gave up; i would guess they would have stayed in the E.U., don't see why a WW2 vet would want to leave the EU after the **** they had to live though, constant war after war after war.

ReputationRep:
    Considering many where conscripts I don't think 'they fought for <x>' arguments are particularly compelling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Considering many where conscripts I don't think 'they fought for <x>' arguments are particularly compelling.
    I was actually going to mention that too

ReputationRep:

I've seen a lot of leave voters saying "THIS ISN'T WHAT MY ANCESTORS FOUGHT FOR IN WW2!!!", but none of them ever actually bothered to ask their ancestors what they thought.

I think this video really highlights the difference between the two campaigns. Vote Leave have spent billions on telling scary lies, making things up to make the EU sound evil and fascist and authoritarian. The remain campaign are showing us what people like about the EU.
    My grandfather was convinced the Germans were at it again and I think he had a point.

The pro-EU lobby are as racist as the xenophobes. Lets return to the EEC, with respect between independent nations, and stop this EU nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    They fought against a regime that was stripping people of their freedoms and classifying them as subhuman. I don't think it was as much to do with democracy. I doubt it was autocracy that drove people to go to war, but rather the actions of that autocracy: genocide, conquering the continent by force, and so on.

As for freedom - I don't see how being ruled by the EU takes away our freedom any more than being ruled by the British government does. I don't believe that giving power to a different authority is inherently bad. If they were taking some actions to reduce our freedoms, then it'd be a valid point, but they aren't (meanwhile our own government very much are.) Many of our rights and freedoms come from the EU - they've been very progressive in this regard, introducing some of the first online privacy protections, for example, while our own government seem to believe the internet is a device used only by paedophiles and terrorists.

And the best part about it is that if the EU ever were to start taking away our freedom, we could leave at any time - unlike with our democratically elected government where we need to wait 5 years for a chance to kick them out, and a hell of a lot of irreparable damage can be done in fine years.

I don't think "they could try take away our freedom at some point in the future" is a reason to leave now. If the EU were implementing the kind of legislation our own government currently is, I'd be a staunch Out supporter. If it ever comes to that, we can have a second referendum. Vote Leave seem to be trying to turn this into some sort of last stand, the only chance we'll ever get to leave the EU, when that's just not the case.

(Original post by newpersonage)
    My grandfather was convinced the Germans were at it again and I think he had a point.

The pro-EU lobby are as racist as the xenophobes. Lets return to the EEC, with respect between independent nations, and stop this EU nonsense.
    Lmao what the ****, that was a truly awful video.

That said, it's hardly fair to judge a union of 28 countries based on a single terrible ad. If this were a trend then it'd be worrying, but it's not. It's a single advert. It's pretty clear what whoever made this was trying to put across - that we're all better-off if we cooperate. I think that's quite hard to argue with: the world would be a much better place if every country adopted the EU's environmental protection and workers' rights legislation, for example. Somebody had this idea to put their point across, it probably seemed better in their heads, and it turned out to be a **** idea after all.

ReputationRep:
    Lmao what the ****, that was a truly awful video.

That said, it's hardly fair to judge a union of 28 countries based on a single terrible ad. If this were a trend then it'd be worrying, but it's not. It's a single advert. It's pretty clear what whoever made this was trying to put across - that we're all better-off if we cooperate. I think that's quite hard to argue with: the world would be a much better place if every country adopted the EU's environmental protection and workers' rights legislation, for example. Somebody had this idea to put their point across, it probably seemed better in their heads, and it turned out to be a **** idea after all.
    The EU that you support is imaginary. The real EU is most influenced by corporates. The EU Commission does not listen to what is happening in London or Bristol, it listens to the well financed corporate pressure groups.

Supporting the EU because it is left of centre today is madness. It could be far right tomorrow, then what will you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newpersonage)
    The EU that you support is imaginary. The real EU is most influenced by corporates. The EU Commission does not listen to what is happening in London or Bristol, it listens to the well financed corporate pressure groups.

Which corporations paid the EU to introduce the Working Time Directive? The Directive on Consumer Rights? Renewable Energy Directive, Energy Efficiency Directive, 2030 climate framework? Big corporations aren't paying the EU to give their employees and their customers more rights, or to force them to adhere to costly climate change prevention policies.

In the words of Rupert Murdoch himself, when asked why he wanted to leave the EU: 'That’s easy,' he replied. 'When I go into Downing Street they do what I say; when I go to Brussels they take no notice.'

I don't think there could be a better testimony that the EU isn't corrupt than one from the media mogul running our country.

Supporting the EU because it is left of centre today is madness. It could be far right tomorrow, then what will you do?
    Then I'd support a second referendum. Like I said, we're free to leave the EU at any time. We can kick them out more easily than we can kick our own government out.

ReputationRep:
    Which corporations paid the EU to introduce the Working Time Directive? The Directive on Consumer Rights? Renewable Energy Directive, Energy Efficiency Directive, 2030 climate framework? Big corporations aren't paying the EU to give their employees and their customers more rights, or to force them to adhere to costly climate change prevention policies.
    Yes, other pan-european pressure groups can be heard, as well as corporations, especially left of centre groups when we have a left of centre EU. However, the EU is not fixed at left of centre and local pressure groups dont stand a chance.

If the EU changed political complexion you said that:
    Then I'd support a second referendum. Like I said, we're free to leave the EU at any time. We can kick them out more easily than we can kick our own government out.
    So you are expecting that every time the EU has a government that you don't like you will get a new referendum?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 7, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.