Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We should stop calling government's money tax payers money. Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you walk into a convenient store and buy a bottle of water. Once you hand over your money it no longer belongs to you. Same with taxes, once we pay our taxes it no longer belong to us hence we have no right to question how is it being spent.

If government's money are ' tax payers money ' then we as tax payers should go and raid government's office and take our money back. But we can't because it isn't our money anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    If you walk into a convenient store and buy a bottle of water. Once you hand over your money it no longer belongs to you. Same with taxes, once we pay our taxes it no longer belong to us hence we have no right to question how is it being spent.

If government's money are ' tax payers money ' then we as tax payers should go and raid government's office and take our money back. But we can't because it isn't our money anymore

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes especially since most of it is borrowed money or dare I say it - printed money when ever they feel like it.

ReputationRep:
    Comparing the government to a convenience store is just stupid.

When we give money to a convenience store for a product, we've already recieved exactly what we expected in return for our money, so we have no further expectations from the convenience store.

We give money to the government on the basis that we trust them to use that money for something that will appeal to us, such as a better road system. We continually give them money on that basis, so we maintain a loose expectation of them.

(Also, we have no choice but to give the government our money, so if they don't use it to serve us in return, then I might start to agree with the libertarians that call tax 'daylight robbery'. :afraid:)

ReputationRep:
    we pay taxes, for services, and other stuff, government workers, Roads, police, firemen, and in the UK case, The NHS ( Back in the day, we paid taxes to live on someones land and for their protection ... services again). If we don't like the service or don't think its up to standards we have every right to complain, since we gave the money for services. The government is our servant or cook, or what ever, we only pay them for a service and expect decent service since it ain't cheap.
    Smoker pay large taxes on cigarettes, since it has majot health problem, which harm health care. if we had no right to that money, the government could tax as much as it wants, since it doesnt have to accoutn for why the taxes are so high.so really, it's taxpayers money,we give it to them for a reason, to live in a civil society and to get social gains, we don't gives taxes for no reason.
    I get what your saying .. but the above is why its tax payer money and not the government.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    It would probably be more apt to compare taxes to some type of investment. Or payment for promise of future services rendered in some contract.

ReputationRep:
    Tax is theft.

Just like property

(Of course people should be able to question where their tax contributions go. Public services CAN be wasteful- but quite often privatisation can be as bad if not far worse)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Tax is theft.

Just like property

(Of course people should be able to question where their tax contributions go. Public services CAN be wasteful- but quite often privatisation can be as bad if not far worse)
    I never understood that.

Just because you don't want to pay it makes it theft? What about the free policing you enjoy the free schooling?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tax payers money is merely indicative of the source i.e it comes from taxpayers.
    Governments dont create money on their own, they get it through taxes and to a lesser extent they borrow, but that inccurs liability for the taxpayers.

Ofc you have a right to question how it is spent because governments are responsible to the electorate for their actions and that includes spending.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We have every right to question how our money is being spent, just as we'd query if we handed over cash to the convenient store for a bottle of water but instead the guy refused to hand it over and gives you a chocolate bar instead. Taxes aren't a UK membership fee merely for the 'privilege' of being allowed to live here, they're to pay for specific services of our collective choosing.

ReputationRep:
    7/10.

Already hooked in a few, good effort.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can chose to buy a bottle of water or not. You have no choice about paying tax unless you are rich enough. The money is used to pay for services we use. We vote for an executive to spend that money. Therefore we have a say.

ReputationRep:
    Tax is theft.

Just like property

I don't believe it's theft. You will almost certainly need treatment from the NHS as some point in your life. You may lose your job and need some support from the state. When you retire, you'll want a pension. You give during times of plenty with the promise that you'll be provided for in times of being needy.

You can find out where your taxes go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    I never understood that.

Just because you don't want to pay it makes it theft? What about the free policing you enjoy the free schooling?
    If I come into your house and take your TV, but I leave behind some cash, did I steal your TV?

I don't think tax is theft, but I disagree with your justification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    I never understood that.

I'm very much for Tax, I was half trolling the libertarians. As u see it, if you see tax as theft, then property is also theft as the land belongs to all of us

cherryred90s
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Where does this money come from if not the taxpayer?
    Obviously you cant just ask for it back, unless you have paid too much, but you cna expect a ggovernment to spend it legally.
    You might say borrowing. but the taxpayer still picks up the liability for it.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry but it is tax payers' money
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I'd like to think this is how he answers his exam questions.

ReputationRep:
    It is tax payers' money. The idea of it comes from the idea of representation with taxation, one of the founding principles of democracy.

The government acts on behalf of us, the idea of a parliamentary democracy is that we can't all be there all of the time to enact or repeal legislation so we elect some people to do it for us. These people are there on their constituents' behalf and in the ideal world are meant to summarise the viewpoints of the people as if they were there in person.

ReputationRep:
    I'm very much for Tax, I was half trolling the libertarians. As u see it, if you see tax as theft, then property is also theft as the land belongs to all of us

cherryred90s
    Ah I see

ReputationRep:
    All taxes can be abolished and replaced with the Automated Payment Tax (APT) which is a flat tax levy at a rate of 0.8%, and it would generate an amount three times greater than the current tax take.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.