Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have been accepted on a course for Medical Imaging -At the interview stage I asked if there was any prep or prestarting material that I could familiarise myself with and their advice was general anatomy. Is there anything anyone would advise who has started the course that you wish you could have looked at beforehand to get a idea in advance of September- my main concern is that I am a mature student and haven't been in school/sixth form for a few years so would like to brush up first. Thank you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bones-Joint...nes+and+joints

Probably the most useful book you'll have in your first year. I think it'd be helpful to have a head start on the contents before you start the course. If you don't want to pay £30, a used older version will do the job just fine - human skeletons haven't changed in 10 years.

Don't worry about positioning guides until you start. Don't concern yourself with physics either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obriena34)
    Hi, I have been accepted on a course for Medical Imaging -At the interview stage I asked if there was any prep or prestarting material that I could familiarise myself with and their advice was general anatomy. Is there anything anyone would advise who has started the course that you wish you could have looked at beforehand to get a idea in advance of September- my main concern is that I am a mature student and haven't been in school/sixth form for a few years so would like to brush up first. Thank you.

Interesting. I am a 'mature' student too and I had the same sort of enthusiasm for radiography before starting the course. Looking back now, what would I have advised myself to read prior to commencing the course?

hmmmm, OK:

1. Textbook of Radiographic Positioning and Related Anatomy by Kenneth L. Bontrager.

This book is, well, huge! it is nearly everything that is radiography (anatomy, physics and positioning). It starts with the very basics, the standard anatomical position (the definition of which you will be acquainted with on your first few weeks at university), your basic anatomy, basics of positioning and stuff like that. it is beautifully written and very easy to understand....It literally walks you through radiography from A to Z starting at zero. So you don't need any background to understand it. i found it very useful and enjoyable. It would be useful to just kind of like read through the first chapter of the book before you start uni.

I think the latest edition is 8 but they are quiet expensive...you can grab yourself an earlier version, a 6, which is just as useful and current, for as little as 8 pounds.

this book is american...so some of the terminologies may differ from what we use here....differences are few and far in between. So you don't need to worry about 'em.

this book though, It sadly, doesn't go into enough detail so far as anatomy and physiology are concerned but that shouldn't concern you at this stage. If it does, grab the next book!

2. Principles of anatomy and physiology....the european edition....by gerard tortora....

This book is probably my favourite anatomy and physiology book. It's genius and a must have for all radiography students. It covers everything you need to know in the anatomy and physiology department. Not a book I would recommend for preparation prior to commencing the course but one i would definitely recommend for radiography students.

It's very expensive to buy the latest edition but older versions are just as good. You can get your hands on an older edition for as little as 10 pounds.

3. Bones and joints a guide for students as per FXX's post advice above. it covers, bones and joints as per title + X-ray images. its a very useful book for radiography students.

4. I know FXX's written that you won't need a Positioning guide but I thought i might list everything here for your reference...

Ok, so there is a ton of them Some students buy pocket sized ones for reference when they are at placement. The best are probably

Clark's pocket handbook for radiographers by Charles Sloane....misses some stuff that are essential for 1st year students but really useful to have a look at prior to commencing the course just to get a feel for what your job is going to be like. When it comes to practice things are often very different to the way they are described in these positioning guides but they are useful nonetheless.

My favourite is the Pocketbook for radiographic positioning by Ruth Sutherland....it covers some stuff that you won't find in clark's. Its very basic, very small and very easy to understand.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 8, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.