Why is remain considered safer given the high levels of unemployment in the EU? Watch

TaipeiGhost
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Greece 24.5 unemployment rate
Spain 21.4
Italy 11.3
France 10.6
Cyprus 15.8
Austria 10.6
Ireland 8.8
Poland 9.8
Portugal 12.4
Slovakia 10.3
Latvia 10.1

Yet somehow, despite the failings of the EU and the high unemployment rates across the continent it's considered safer to remain?

Utter lunacy.
leinad2012
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why have you only mentioned 11 of the 28 eu countries? Could it be because the unemployment rate in the other 17 would be regarded as low?
If you're stupid enough to base whether we should stay in the EU on a cyclical factor like unemployment, you shouldn't be voting...
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not entirely sure you understand how economics works. Unemployment doesn't follow the laws of diffusion...
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Employment in the UK is low. Most businesses see leave as a risk because the promised agreements have not been settled. It is a genuine leap into the dark and hope for the best with a good dose of the law of unintended consequence.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TaipeiGhost)
Spain 21.4
Italy 11.3
France 10.6
Cyprus 15.8
Austria 10.6
Ireland 8.8
Poland 9.8
Portugal 12.4
Slovakia 10.3
Latvia 10.1

Yet somehow, despite the failings of the EU and the high unemployment rates across the continent it's considered safer to remain?

Utter lunacy.
By the same token, "despite" those high employment rates the UK's rate is low. (Although not as low as Germany 4.8%, but hey... why let that ruin a good argument)

Utter lunacy to put that at risk.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jneill)
By the same token, "despite" those high employment rates the UK's rate is low. (Although not as low as Germany 4.8%, but hey... why let that ruin a good argument)

Utter lunacy to put that at risk.
Where's the risk? The Treasury's own worst case scenario suggests a net rise in unemployment of about 400,000 by 2018 out of labour force of over 30 million.

There are many reasons to stay in the EU, a mild short term hit is not one of them.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Where's the risk? The Treasury's own worst case scenario suggests a net rise in unemployment of about 400,000 by 2018 out of labour force of over 30 million.

There are many reasons to stay in the EU, a mild short term hit is not one of them.
Yes a 25% increase is not a problem. No sir.
JordanL_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Unemployment is going down in the UK and has been for the last 6 years. It's now almost down to half what it was in 2010. I don't really see why unemployment in the rest of the EU is relevant.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentand...imeseries/mgsx

(Original post by Plagioclase)
I'm not entirely sure you understand how economics works. Unemployment doesn't follow the laws of diffusion...
This made me laugh
newpersonage
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by leinad2012)
Why have you only mentioned 11 of the 28 eu countries? Could it be because the unemployment rate in the other 17 would be regarded as low?
If you're stupid enough to base whether we should stay in the EU on a cyclical factor like unemployment, you shouldn't be voting...
Yes, we should also consider long term trends like the balance of payments:

or where our commercial future lies:

See ONS Exports to non-EU countries overtake exports to the EU for the first time
Yes, the EU is an economic disaster NOW in many more ways than unemployment. That is why the media always focus on projections - the economic argument is a no brainer based on current data.
TaipeiGhost
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by leinad2012)
I only listed a few because I had to go to work. Do you know what that is? It's what us folks out in the real world do to earn a living. Although really, I call it work... it's more just getting in touch with the other cram school's each day and sorting out any problems, paying my staff's wages and checking out that everything is OK. Doesn't take me too long.

Pipe down with the personal insults, son or I'll have to make you stand in the naughty corner.

If I listed them all it wouldn't make the EU look any more positive, champ. I also didn't mention Croatia's 15.1%

4-5% is considered a healthy unemployment rate so by those standards you have just 7 countries with what is considered a healthy unemployment rate.
Every other country has unemployment above 6%.

So Germany and Britain's unemployment rate is low, so what? I hardly doubt that's down to the EU considering Greece, Spain, France, Portugal and Italy are failing in the EU. A handful of successes does not mean the EU boosts employment.

Now I know most people on here are students and so are a bit wet behind the ears and haven't lived in the real world yet. But it's quite simple to understand that a group such as the EU has failed if it allows any of its member states to have employment rates as bad as say, Spain's over 20%

Even France's 10% is shocking.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Spain's over 20%
Spain was over 26% and has been improving for the last 2 years. Ditto Greece.

So as a business person I presume you do not agree with 60% of members of the IoD that Remain is the best outcome?
ODES_PDES
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Spain 21.4
Italy 11.3
France 10.6
Cyprus 15.8
Austria 10.6
Ireland 8.8
Poland 9.8
Portugal 12.4
Slovakia 10.3
Latvia 10.1

Utter lunacy.
I am with you ghost!
ZeroFree
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Spain 21.4
Italy 11.3
France 10.6
Cyprus 15.8
Austria 10.6
Ireland 8.8
Poland 9.8
Portugal 12.4
Slovakia 10.3
Latvia 10.1

Utter lunacy.
What the hell does unemployment in other EU countries have to do with our safety?
Serine Soul
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Plagioclase)
:rofl:
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by newpersonage)
Yes, we should also consider long term trends like the balance of payments:

or where our commercial future lies:

See ONS Exports to non-EU countries overtake exports to the EU for the first time
Yes, the EU is an economic disaster NOW in many more ways than unemployment. That is why the media always focus on projections - the economic argument is a no brainer based on current data.
Remaining doesn't prevent (or hinder) our trading outside the EU.

And surely the point of this whole thing is about projections. What is happening now, today, is pretty irrelevant.
Helloworld_95
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nurne)
Let Britain leave then all the lobotomised shitlarks can see what Britain looks like out of the EU. Pathetic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seeing what Britain looks like out of the EU is kinda one of the pros of the leave campaign, it shows a true picture of what it's like for a major European country to be outside the EU in this day and age. So either everything turns out to be fine and dandy and so the EU doesn't actually have much of an effect or things go to hell and all the members of the EU, plus the UK, see how much of an advantage it is thus increasing cooperation.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The EUs total unemployment has been falling since 2013. The fact that certain EU states have divergent levels suggests to me that this is due to different approaches by member states.
Growth is also rising with the EU overtaking the U.S. this year.

Speaking of the U.S.- the economic crash was not that long ago.
newpersonage
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

And surely the point of this whole thing is about projections. What is happening now, today, is pretty irrelevant.
We only know for certain what is happening today an should take this as our best guide to the future. Nobody is saying that the parlous state of UK-EU economic relations is going to change if we Remain.
newpersonage
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

We only know for certain what is happening today and should take this as our best guide to the future. Nobody is saying that the parlous state of UK-EU economic relations is going to change if we Remain.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by newpersonage)
We only know for certain what is happening today and should take this as our best guide to the future. Nobody is saying that the parlous state of UK-EU economic relations is going to change if we Remain.
And what has happened and is happening today seems to be working out just fine for the UK. Economy has outperformed FR, DE and even USA since we joined the EEC in 1973.

Name:  1465376562044.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  32.3 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.65%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.41%
No, but I want to start (265)
37.59%
No, I am unable to (167)
23.69%
No, I chose not to (195)
27.66%