Fail a MEng module

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm currently in my final year of an MEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering degree.
    One of my modules is a 100% coursework module. It is worth 15 credits of the year. I am pretty sure I have failed this module. The test (counted as coursework) did not go well, and the coursework hand-in was not good.
    What would be the likely scenario? I have read that resits are not available for final year modules. I did not submit mitigating circumstances.
    I achieved 68% in my third year. 67% in my second year.

My grades this year are:
    40 credit (Major Team Project/dissertation): predicted to be between 65% and 70%
    20 credit: 67%
    15 credit: 63%
    15 credit: predicted 67
    15 credit: (Module I think I've failed)
    The MEng course is split 50/50 between third and fourth year (grades-wise).

I calculated that even if I were to get 0 for this module I would still comfortably achieve a 2:1. The handbook states if I get at least 40% I can get compensated credits.
    However I am worried that I have not achieved 40%. I am due to graduate in July, and I am worried that I will not graduate, or I will achieve a lesser award.

Any info would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shlicktommy)
    Hello,

I'm currently in my final year of an MEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering degree.
    One of my modules is a 100% coursework module. It is worth 15 credits of the year. I am pretty sure I have failed this module. The test (counted as coursework) did not go well, and the coursework hand-in was not good.
    What would be the likely scenario? I have read that resits are not available for final year modules. I did not submit mitigating circumstances.
    I achieved 68% in my third year. 67% in my second year.

My grades this year are:
    40 credit (Major Team Project/dissertation): predicted to be between 65% and 70%
    20 credit: 67%
    15 credit: predicted 67
    15 credit: (Module I think I've failed)
    The MEng course is split 50/50 between third and fourth year (grades-wise).

I calculated that even if I were to get 0 for this module I would still comfortably achieve a 2:1. The handbook states if I get at least 40% I can get compensated credits.
    However I am worried that I have not achieved 40%. I am due to graduate in July, and I am worried that I will not graduate, or I will achieve a lesser award.

Any info would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sam
    you will need to ask your department about this as every uni wil have a different policy

For mine for example you can fail 20 credits per year and still graduate will honours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)

For mine for example you can fail 20 credits per year and still graduate will honours
    Damn.

I think at my uni you have to pass all modules to graduate with honours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    Damn.

Granted if you failed 20 credits it'd drag your grade down a fair bit aha its still counted in the overall percentage just you're allowed to get less than 40

All my friends unis allow this so yours may too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If your grade is below the compensation threshold then you will most likely have to re-sit the paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    Damn.

Yeah, this varies from uni to uni. At Bath you gotta pass everything through the first 2 or 3 years (depending upon whether you do BEng or MEng), then in the final year they don't do resit exams, so the mark you get is the one that sticks for your average. On a positive note, this means everyone graduates together in the summer. I failed a couple of exams in my final year, so I was really nervous how my degree cert would be, but it turned out just fine in the end (2.1 hons).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahpadt)
    Yeah, this varies from uni to uni. At Bath you gotta pass everything through the first 2 or 3 years (depending upon whether you do BEng or MEng), then in the final year they don't do resit exams, so the mark you get is the one that sticks for your average. On a positive note, this means everyone graduates together in the summer. I failed a couple of exams in my final year, so I was really nervous how my degree cert would be, but it turned out just fine in the end (2.1 hons).
    Interesting, that's pretty much similar to my uni (with regards to passing everything to progress) but there's a twist at mine. My course handbook says if you fail any modules in the final year you can be given condoned credits however if this happens then you will graduate with an un-accredited MSci (hons) Engineering degree due to accreditation rules apparently. It also says should this scenario happen if the candidate did not need condoned credits for their BEng award they will be given the option to graduate with the accredited BEng rather than the un-accredited MSci.

That's actually scared me now

How did you find the final years (3rd and 4th) in terms of difficulty? I start my 3rd year in September.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure there is no compensation threshold? Usually you have a pass mark of say 40% or 50% in the final year and a compensation threshold of about 30%. If you fail but your mark is still above 30% you can still graduate provided the average of your final year modules is over the pass mark. What if someone at Bath gets 0% or 1% in a module then? They can't just award him/her those credits and put that 0% or 1% on the certificate, there has to be some kind of compensation threshold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    How did you find the final years (3rd and 4th) in terms of difficulty? I start my 3rd year in September.
    Y3 was okay. Y4 exams were proper hard.

(Original post by History98)
    Are you sure there is no compensation threshold? Usually you have a pass mark of say 40% or 50% in the final year and a compensation threshold of about 30%. If you fail but your mark is still above 30% you can still graduate provided the average of your final year modules is over the pass mark. What if someone at Bath gets 0% or 1% in a module then? They can't just award him/her those credits and put that 0% or 1% on the certificate, there has to be some kind of compensation threshold.
    Good point. Don't actually know. My 30-something % exams were accepted atleast. :P

ReputationRep:
    At mine if you fail 4th year you get demoted to 3rd year results (i.e BEng)

ReputationRep:
    Y3 was okay. Y4 exams were proper hard.
    Ahahaha great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    Interesting, that's pretty much similar to my uni (with regards to passing everything to progress) but there's a twist at mine. My course handbook says if you fail any modules in the final year you can be given condoned credits however if this happens then you will graduate with an un-accredited MSci (hons) Engineering degree due to accreditation rules apparently. It also says should this scenario happen if the candidate did not need condoned credits for their BEng award they will be given the option to graduate with the accredited BEng rather than the un-accredited MSci.
    Huh, that's interesting. Accreditation shouldn't rely on all your last year modules, especially not in your masters year as you would've fulfilled most if not all requirements in third year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Huh, that's interesting. Accreditation shouldn't rely on all your last year modules, especially not in your masters year as you would've fulfilled most if not all requirements in third year.
    I think that applies to marks significantly less than the threshold pass mark. In final year the threshold pass mark is 50% (and 40% for all other 3 years). So i'm assuming if one failed say you got 45% but did really well in your other modules then you would get compensation and still graduate with a MEng (hons).

Edit: With regards to your last point about full-fulling requirements in the third year this will depend on the course structure which is university dependent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    I think that applies to marks significantly less than the threshold pass mark. In final year the threshold pass mark is 50% (and 40% for all other 3 years). So i'm assuming if one failed say you got 45% but did really well in your other modules then you would get compensation and still graduate with a MEng (hons).

Edit: With regards to your last point about full-fulling requirements in the third year this will depend on the course structure which is university dependent!
    Ah ok.

I suppose, however at my uni we only have 110 credits associated with accreditation (could be as low as 60 required) where 50 (30) of those are in 3rd year and none are in 4th so I find it difficult to believe that there are universities where the entirety or majority of 4th year counts towards accreditation.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.