Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm due to start the PgDip in September but I'm only eligible for my fees and the £1000 grant as apparently I can't be classed as an independent student. My mother is too high an earner on paper but isn't able to give me any money. I can't apply for a student loan as its PgDip not BSc and I haven't been able to secure any bank HCA work as the trusts I want to apply to won't accept me without completing a certain number of placements first.

I do have a zero hours job doing First Aid which I'm planning to carry on doing, but the hours are few and far between and some months I earn nothing. I know there are hardship funds available but I can't apply for those until I've started the course and there's no guarantee I'd be successful.

Am I missing anything with the bursary situation? I was told if I sent them a statement of my earnings since leaving school it might count, but I've since been told yesterday that they don't include any time you've also been in university... which would be all of it. I've worked really hard to get an offer from my first choice and I really don't want to have to drop out because of money.

Is anyone managing to cope without a bursary? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would you be living at home? If so that will be a lot more doable

Maybe it could be worth getting a part time job just doing anything? When I started nursing I was working at wetherspoon at the weekends on a zero hour contract. With it being a zero hour contract I didn't have to work every week (handy for placements) but there was still plenty of hours available if I needed it. I know a few people who work in sainsburys, debenhams etc and they have been quite flexible.
    When you've had 12 weeks on placement you will be able to apply for agency work as a hca then you can choose your hours and earn a lot more

It will also be worth sending your earnings over the past few years to the bursaries to see if they might consider giving you a better bursary. You've got nothing to lose at this point!

When do you start?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeirdLittleO)
    Would you be living at home? If so that will be a lot more doable

Maybe it could be worth getting a part time job just doing anything? When I started nursing I was working at wetherspoon at the weekends on a zero hour contract. With it being a zero hour contract I didn't have to work every week (handy for placements) but there was still plenty of hours available if I needed it. I know a few people who work in sainsburys, debenhams etc and they have been quite flexible.
    When you've had 12 weeks on placement you will be able to apply for agency work as a hca then you can choose your hours and earn a lot more

It will also be worth sending your earnings over the past few years to the bursaries to see if they might consider giving you a better bursary. You've got nothing to lose at this point!

When do you start?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for your reply.

No I'm not living at home, I've just moved in with my boyfriend. (Living with my parents wasn't an option given there's no room and it's too far from university anyway.)

Totally agree about just applying for anything but zero hours seems to be few and far between and I keep getting turned down for 4 hour Saturday jobs. I do already have a zero hours contract so I'm probably just catastrophising because I haven't been able to take on many shifts as I'm awaiting a surgery date and you have to book a month in advance!

NHS bursaries already rejected a certificate of my earnings sadly.

I'm pretty sure I can muddle through until I can get HCA work. I'm in the process of grovelling to my parents and there are various hardship funds so I'm just going to try it and see what happens!

Oh and I start in September!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fc93)
    Thanks for your reply.

No I'm not living at home, I've just moved in with my boyfriend. (Living with my parents wasn't an option given there's no room and it's too far from university anyway.)

Totally agree about just applying for anything but zero hours seems to be few and far between and I keep getting turned down for 4 hour Saturday jobs. I do already have a zero hours contract so I'm probably just catastrophising because I haven't been able to take on many shifts as I'm awaiting a surgery date and you have to book a month in advance!

NHS bursaries already rejected a certificate of my earnings sadly.

I'm pretty sure I can muddle through until I can get HCA work. I'm in the process of grovelling to my parents and there are various hardship funds so I'm just going to try it and see what happens!

Oh and I start in September!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could also look into care agencies, they can be difficult to find but many of the smaller ones will take you on with little to no experience, and the rates of pay are usually very good, especially at weekends and on nights. Most are quite keen to take on student nurses as you'll not need additional moving and handling training from the agency, and they view student nurses as being very skilled and desirable because of that. Lots of private care homes also have their own bank which you can apply to as it's cheaper for them to hire you though their bank rather than through an agency.

If you find yourself really desperate there is always online freelancing, there are plenty of data entry, voice talent and proofreading projects that have very variable pay but are a bit of extra money to help out. Online surveys etc. can be useful too, I bought all of my textbooks through working online before uni so it is possible to make a reasonable amount. Depending on your skills/experience you can earn a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    I would second care work. I do that now and I will continue when I start uni in Sept. Zero hours contract, but they employ a lot of mums so there are always extra hours in school holidays.

ReputationRep:
    It is hard. But you can do bank work along side (depending on trust). I bank for my local hospital to top up my bursery to a "living wage" if you like. Ideally you'd want to fully concentrate on your course and placements etc without doing bank but we have little choice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

I will definitely try and get some care work once I've done enough placement to get accepted onto bank. I've been trying to find smaller local agencies too as suggested.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.