Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm currently working in a school but have recently started the application process to join the RAF as an officer. I have been invited to attend the presentation on a Thursday morning but am worried about asking for time off to attend during the term time. When I called to ask whether there were any presentations outside of work time I was informed this would not be possible. Can anybody tell me whether the application is covered by the armed covenant?

Thanks in advance!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpwd92)
    Can anybody tell me whether the application is covered by the armed covenant?
    What do you mean by this?

The armed forces covenant is a policy of the Government - not a law - that states "the Armed Forces Covenant is a promise from the nation that those who serve or have served, and their families, are treated fairly".

How and why do you think this applies to your case?

ReputationRep:
    as far as I am aware Drewski the covenant is designed to allow the armed forces to operate with as little impact by civilian companies as possible. For this reason if a civilian has a partner serving in the armed forces who has some R and R then a company must do everything in there power to allow the civilian to join them. (Having served previously in the Navy I am fairly familiar with that part) however, when it comes to an application I am unsure whether there is a section that helps an individual not to be denied access to presentations and interviews.

ReputationRep:
    as far as I am aware Drewski the covenant is designed to allow the armed forces to operate with as little impact by civilian companies as possible. For this reason if a civilian has a partner serving in the armed forces who has some R and R then a company must do everything in there power to allow the civilian to join them. (Having served previously in the Navy I am fairly familiar with that part) however, when it comes to an application I am unsure whether there is a section that helps an individual not to be denied access to presentations and interviews.
    The covenant isn't a law.

There's no "must do" in any part of it. It's nothing more than a polite request - there's absolutely nothing anyone can do to make a company abide by it. That bit you quote about your experience in the RN is a nice thing, but it's not mandated anywhere and is solely down to the goodwill of the company involved.

AFCOs only operate during normal office hours (quite why they do is another matter and an argument for another day), but your current employer is well within their rights to say "you haven't given us enough notice to take this time off".

Most you can do is ask the AFCO for a later presentation date and book the time off work formally.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm currently working in a school but have recently started the application process to join the RAF as an officer. I have been invited to attend the presentation on a Thursday morning but am worried about asking for time off to attend during the term time. When I called to ask whether there were any presentations outside of work time I was informed this would not be possible. Can anybody tell me whether the application is covered by the armed covenant?

Thanks in advance!!
    I also work in a school and found the best way to go about this was to be open and honest about the situation which ended up working massively in my favour as its a long application process.

I think you're allowed 3 days a year off for interviews in most schools, and even though the presentation is not an interview they allowed it to count as a half day for me (plus another half day for my filter interview and a whole day for aptitude).

Unless you can wait until the summer holidays you just have to hope your school are accommodating. As far as I know they don't HAVE to let you go but under Union guidelines you're probably allowed 3 interview days a year and technically it is part of the interview/application process.

Hope that helps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.