Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I am currently finishing my first year at university and I have found it the most difficult and most stressful experience of my life.

Not only is my course awful, (it is a new course and as far as I can see will actually get me no further than if I did not take it). I am twenty-three and the oldest in my class, I am done with cheesy nightclubs full of horny 18 year olds, I am more into bars ect and a night out at Jumpin Jaks is just not going to happen.

I am by far the odd one out, I have tried to sit with others but we just do not click. I have never been one for no friends, and without wanting to say university is all about friends but you have to admit, you do need at least one.

I do not want to go back, but feel like I have too.
    Although I know my family can tell I am not happy and have reassured me they do not mind either way they would rather a daughter who is happy without a degree than one with one who is miserable and stressed.

I am just stuck really, the next few years are only going to be harder.

Anybody have any advice.
    And also, if anybody else who would like to meet someone new and would like to message me then go ahead

Sorry for the essay, I just needed to let this out.

ReputationRep:
    Unless the course really is beyond you, it's better to stay on and earn your degree. If the social side of things isn't compatible with you, look outside of uni for it. And make every opportunity to find placements and internships while you're at it

ReputationRep:
    I have booked in to speak to one of my tutors and see what they say.
    I also have this habit of doubting myself and thinking I am doing rubbish with the essays ect but have actually passed them all...
    I will see what they say, I am pretty unhappy right now though , maybe I need to join a society ?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah there should be plenty of those at uni. I regret not being more active in my studies, and as a result I'm struggling to find work. Those who just "turn up" are least likely to make an impact...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Unless the course really is beyond you, it's better to stay on and earn your degree. If the social side of things isn't compatible with you, look outside of uni for it. And make every opportunity to find placements and internships while you're at it
    I disagree, if you absolutely hate your course, chances are you won't do well because you won't be motivated. Better to drop out after first year and reapply to a course that you like than sit through three miserable years... I know plenty of people who did that and have turned out fine! But again, this depends - what is your course and why do you not like it? Is there an alternative course or university you would prefer?

Also, regarding you being a mature student, my flatmate in first year was 23 and made loads of friends through the Live Music Society and the Mature Student's Society. But although she wasn't really into going out 24/7, she did still hang out with us in the day. Also, going out all the time does die down in second year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banksyy)
    Hey

I am currently finishing my first year at university and I have found it the most difficult and most stressful experience of my life.

Not only is my course awful, (it is a new course and as far as I can see will actually get me no further than if I did not take it). I am twenty-three and the oldest in my class, I am done with cheesy nightclubs full of horny 18 year olds, I am more into bars ect and a night out at Jumpin Jaks is just not going to happen.

I am by far the odd one out, I have tried to sit with others but we just do not click. I have never been one for no friends, and without wanting to say university is all about friends but you have to admit, you do need at least one.

I do not want to go back, but feel like I have too.
    Although I know my family can tell I am not happy and have reassured me they do not mind either way they would rather a daughter who is happy without a degree than one with one who is miserable and stressed.

I am just stuck really, the next few years are only going to be harder.

Anybody have any advice.
    And also, if anybody else who would like to meet someone new and would like to message me then go ahead

Sorry for the essay, I just needed to let this out.
    Leave whilst you've still got 3 years more of student finance. Take a year or so and figure out what you want to do and if it requires a degree then return to uni at that point. Please don't take life advice especially about university and jobs from teenagers who haven't experienced what you're going through.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.