AnonymousAnswer
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I wanted to know how can you determine what direction a point on the wave is travelling when given a snapshot of the wave. my book says something about the displacement being greater on the left side of the point than the actual therefore moving up and if smaller then moving downwards but i don't really understand what it means by that. if you have any understanding please help
Dowel
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AnonymousAnswer)
Hi, I wanted to know how can you determine what direction a point on the wave is travelling when given a snapshot of the wave. my book says something about the displacement being greater on the left side of the point than the actual therefore moving up and if smaller then moving downwards but i don't really understand what it means by that. if you have any understanding please help
Firstly you need to know that the wave is moving horizontally but the particle is moving vertically as the amplitude in the same plane as it movement changes.
So if the amplitude of the wave to the left of the particle is larger the particle is about to go up, if the amplitude of the wave to the left of the particle is smaller then the particle is about to go down.
AnonymousAnswer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dowel)
Firstly you need to know that the wave is moving horizontally but the particle is moving vertically as the amplitude in the same plane as it movement changes.
So if the amplitude of the wave to the left of the particle is larger the particle is about to go up, if the amplitude of the wave to the left of the particle is smaller then the particle is about to go down.
Thanks that cleared quite a bit up, just wanted to know is it directly to the left of the particle, or half of the wavelength. any specific distance away from the particle
Dowel
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AnonymousAnswer)
Thanks that cleared quite a bit up, just wanted to know is it directly to the left of the particle, or half of the wavelength. any specific distance away from the particle
A question will give you a specific distance, it depends on the position of the particle to start with.

But if there is no specific distance then take it as directly left of the particle.
AnonymousAnswer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dowel)
A question will give you a specific distance, it depends on the position of the particle to start with.

But if there is no specific distance then take it as directly left of the particle.
ok thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.5%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (35)
14.58%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.17%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.58%

Watched Threads