Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Capturee.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  21.2 KB
    Name:  yh.JPG
Views: 39
Size:  34.0 KB
    Hey there. So this mcq is a bit weird. If I see values from the data booklet the ans is A. But the ms says the correct ans is C . I'm not sure if this is a mistake by CIE or if there is a logical explanation for this. Please any help would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hey good question!

Sorry I'm also an A level student plus I'm not even doing the CIE exam board so I've got no idea if my answer will be satisfactory

The way I see it, this question is probably looking to test your understanding of factors which affect atomic radius, which is essentially that if all species have the same number of electrons (or at least in the same period), then increasing number of protons in the nuclei will lead to decreasing atomic radii (similar shielding, same number of electrons, more protons, greater effective nuclear charge experienced etc)

I think the problem with using data book values to confirm this question is that the way the values are calculated for Ne compared with Na+ and F- are different, since neon doesn't form bonds (noble gas). The way chemguide puts it is like it's 'unsquashed' radii - suggesting that you'd likely find a higher value for neon than what you'd expect from the trend alone.

To be honest chemistry is riddled with exceptions to the rule, and I don't think the exam board is looking for people to memorise the exceptions (unless specifically told to), but instead apply knowledge of chemistry to generalise, which is also known as deductive reasoning.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.