Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tricky question - Redox systems in acidic and basic conditions Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys - really stuck on this question (7d) - I'm absolutely fine with writing equations in acidic or basic conditions, I just don't understand why for this scenario why this would cause the reverse reactions to occur? Surely the same reactions should still happen? :/

Would someone mind explaining it to me?

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 44
Size:  86.5 KBAttachment 545149545151
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine)
    Hey guys - really stuck on this question (7d) - I'm absolutely fine with writing equations in acidic or basic conditions, I just don't understand why for this scenario why this would cause the reverse reactions to occur? Surely the same reactions should still happen? :/

Would someone mind explaining it to me?

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 44
Size:  86.5 KBAttachment 545149545151
    First you have to consider the half equation for 'redox system 7' under acidic and alkaline conditions.

In acidic conditions:
    ClO-(aq) + 2H+(aq)→ ½Cl2(g) + H2O(l)

In alkaline conditions:
    ClO-(aq) + H2O(l)→ ½Cl2(g) + 2OH-(aq)

Therefore under acidic conditions, the position of equilibrium lies to the right so Cl- ions reduce ClO- to Cl2, and Cl- ions are oxidised to Cl2 because Eѳ Cl2/Cl- (redox system 6) < Eѳ ClO-/Cl2 (redox system 7).

Under alkaline conditions, the position of equilibrium for 'redox system 7' lies well to the left due to the hydroxide ions. Therefore Eѳ ClO-/Cl2 (redox system 7) < Eѳ Cl2/Cl- (redox system 6) Therefore, Cl2 is reduced to ClO- ions by OH- ions. This reaction produces electrons which are then accepted by Cl2 in 'redox system 6' which reduces Cl2 to Cl- ions.

Its all to do with Le Chatelier's principle and the position of equilibrium, because that's what electrode potentials are, a measure of the position of equilibrium. If the position of equilibrium lies to the left, it has a more negative electrode potential and is a stronger reducing agent; if the position of equilibrium lies to the right, it has a more positive electrode potential and is a stronger oxidising agent.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by B_9710)
    First you have to consider the half equation for 'redox system 7' under acidic and alkaline conditions.

In acidic conditions:
    ClO-(aq) + 2H+(aq)→ ½Cl2(g) + H2O(l)

In alkaline conditions:
    ClO-(aq) + H2O(l)→ ½Cl2(g) + 2OH-(aq)

Therefore under acidic conditions, the position of equilibrium lies to the right so Cl- ions reduce ClO- to Cl2, and Cl- ions are oxidised to Cl2 because Eѳ Cl2/Cl- (redox system 6) < Eѳ ClO-/Cl2 (redox system 7).

Under alkaline conditions, the position of equilibrium for 'redox system 7' lies well to the left due to the hydroxide ions. Therefore Eѳ ClO-/Cl2 (redox system 7) < Eѳ Cl2/Cl- (redox system 6) Therefore, Cl2 is reduced to ClO- ions by OH- ions. This reaction produces electrons which are then accepted by Cl2 in 'redox system 6' which reduces Cl2 to Cl- ions.

Its all to do with Le Chatelier's principle and the position of equilibrium, because that's what electrode potentials are, a measure of the position of equilibrium. If the position of equilibrium lies to the left, it has a more negative electrode potential and is a stronger reducing agent; if the position of equilibrium lies to the right, it has a more positive electrode potential and is a stronger oxidising agent.
    Very well explained sir.
    +rep

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.