The Student Room Group

Tricky question - Redox systems in acidic and basic conditions

Hey guys - really stuck on this question (7d) - I'm absolutely fine with writing equations in acidic or basic conditions, I just don't understand why for this scenario why this would cause the reverse reactions to occur? Surely the same reactions should still happen? :/

Would someone mind explaining it to me?

image.jpeg
Attachment not found
Reply 1
Original post by Serine
Hey guys - really stuck on this question (7d) - I'm absolutely fine with writing equations in acidic or basic conditions, I just don't understand why for this scenario why this would cause the reverse reactions to occur? Surely the same reactions should still happen? :/

Would someone mind explaining it to me?

image.jpeg
Attachment not found

First you have to consider the half equation for 'redox system 7' under acidic and alkaline conditions.

In acidic conditions:
ClO-(aq) + 2H+(aq) ½Cl2(g) + H2O(l)

In alkaline conditions:
ClO-(aq) + H2O(l) ½Cl2(g) + 2OH-(aq)

Therefore under acidic conditions, the position of equilibrium lies to the right so Cl- ions reduce ClO- to Cl2, and Cl- ions are oxidised to Cl2 because Eѳ Cl2/Cl- (redox system 6) < Eѳ ClO-/Cl2 (redox system 7).

Under alkaline conditions, the position of equilibrium for 'redox system 7' lies well to the left due to the hydroxide ions. Therefore Eѳ ClO-/Cl2 (redox system 7) < Eѳ Cl2/Cl- (redox system 6) Therefore, Cl2 is reduced to ClO- ions by OH- ions. This reaction produces electrons which are then accepted by Cl2 in 'redox system 6' which reduces Cl2 to Cl- ions.

Its all to do with Le Chatelier's principle and the position of equilibrium, because that's what electrode potentials are, a measure of the position of equilibrium. If the position of equilibrium lies to the left, it has a more negative electrode potential and is a stronger reducing agent; if the position of equilibrium lies to the right, it has a more positive electrode potential and is a stronger oxidising agent.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by B_9710
First you have to consider the half equation for 'redox system 7' under acidic and alkaline conditions.

In acidic conditions:
ClO-(aq) + 2H+(aq) ½Cl2(g) + H2O(l)

In alkaline conditions:
ClO-(aq) + H2O(l) ½Cl2(g) + 2OH-(aq)

Therefore under acidic conditions, the position of equilibrium lies to the right so Cl- ions reduce ClO- to Cl2, and Cl- ions are oxidised to Cl2 because Eѳ Cl2/Cl- (redox system 6) < Eѳ ClO-/Cl2 (redox system 7).

Under alkaline conditions, the position of equilibrium for 'redox system 7' lies well to the left due to the hydroxide ions. Therefore Eѳ ClO-/Cl2 (redox system 7) < Eѳ Cl2/Cl- (redox system 6) Therefore, Cl2 is reduced to ClO- ions by OH- ions. This reaction produces electrons which are then accepted by Cl2 in 'redox system 6' which reduces Cl2 to Cl- ions.

Its all to do with Le Chatelier's principle and the position of equilibrium, because that's what electrode potentials are, a measure of the position of equilibrium. If the position of equilibrium lies to the left, it has a more negative electrode potential and is a stronger reducing agent; if the position of equilibrium lies to the right, it has a more positive electrode potential and is a stronger oxidising agent.

Very well explained sir.
+rep

Quick Reply

Latest