Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could anybody help me with sorting out what sort of power supply/ leads i would need to plug in a laptop in the US and on an aeroplane?? Links to one on amazon would be great

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about planes, but in the USA they have different voltage (120v) usualy so you would need a stepup transformer so your laptop power supply gets the required 240v input. Some power supplys are auto switching which means it will detect the voltage. Check the input voltage if it says 110v-250v~ then all you need is is an american power adaptor that www.maplin.co.uk will sell. If it requires 240v then you will need a special transformer or buy an american power supply for you laptop.

ReputationRep:
    laptop power supplies are normally only provided in buisness/first class - at least on the carriers that I use. As i have never needed to use on on board I don't know for sure but either you could buy one from the crew or you would be given one - depending on the airline.
    HTH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Not sure about planes, but in the USA they have different voltage (120v) usualy so you would need a stepup transformer so your laptop power supply gets the required 240v input. Some power supplys are auto switching which means it will detect the voltage. Check the input voltage if it says 110v-250v~ then all you need is is an american power adaptor that www.maplin.co.uk will sell. If it requires 240v then you will need a special transformer or buy an american power supply for you laptop.
    ok tx

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.