Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    just wondering. i mean if some1 got 3 e's at A level but still got a place at university will the bad A levels still contribute to their reputation if they have a degree

Yes, A-levels matter.

ReputationRep:
    they don't matter as such, you can suceed without them... but for certain things they will do.. ie uni and job prospects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    just wondering. i mean if some1 got 3 e's at A level but still got a place at university will the bad A levels still contribute to their reputation if they have a degree
    depends on what you want to do after your degree. Unfortuantely in certain circumstances you A-Levels are still looked at.

ReputationRep:
    In my current job i do a little bit of graduate recruitment, mainly for other countries but the theories the same, A Levels are used to get someone into university, it'll be a poor employer that has to look at Exams someone took when they were 17 to decide whether they are suitable ofr a job - its far more important to look at the degree they've got, work experence, how well they interview and what potential they appear to have - i have never once dismissed someone from getting an interview based on school results and Ive looked at around 700 CVs!!!

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    In my current job i do a little bit of graduate recruitment, mainly for other countries but the theories the same, A Levels are used to get someone into university, it'll be a poor employer that has to look at Exams someone took when they were 17 to decide whether they are suitable ofr a job - its far more important to look at the degree they've got, work experence, how well they interview and what potential they appear to have - i have never once dismissed someone from getting an interview based on school results and Ive looked at around 700 CVs!!!
    you obviously have a lot of experience in this field, but suppose at the end of the degree when someone is applying to the job, won't alevels be involved in the criteria. for example in medicine, everyone graduates with the same qualification, and albeit the performances in interview and experience will be important, surely alevels may have some impact on whether someone is more likely to get a job than someone else???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    At the end of the day an E's a pass, so you can get into university with E's or D's. In relation to degrees, a degree is a degree in my opinion, but i think employers look for more than just a degree. If two people were competing for the same job and had the same degree, then they would take the uni you went to into account.

I do think A levels are important, but it's not the end of the world if you don't pass them. You can get sponsorships/aprentaships that will work you up to degree level plus you'll have the work experience and a job at the end of it, which i think is better.....
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    A lot of the big graduate recruiters ask for at least 24 points in old A level points (ie BBB) excluding general studies.

Of course plenty aren't that daft so less than that wont rule you out of all graduate jobs - just some of the competetive usually finance related jobs.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that your degree kinda overshadowed A Levels..

Oh well...... I'll just ask another question:

Do GCSE grades matter? Mine are crud, but I improved dramatically during AS and hopefully A2...

ReputationRep:
    I flipping hope alevels matter....2 years of solid hard work (ok then the last 4 months mainly)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddiedaboss)
    I flipping hope alevels matter....2 years of solid hard work (ok then the last 4 months mainly)
    I hope they matter if I get the results I want for A2 If I muck up, then .....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    I hope they matter if I get the results I want for A2 If I muck up, then .....

Wouldnt u jus retake them...afterall you have to live with your alevel grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    I always thought that your degree kinda overshadowed A Levels..

Oh well...... I'll just ask another question:

Do GCSE grades matter? Mine are crud, but I improved dramatically during AS and hopefully A2...
    i would say that GCSE's a VERY important, without these you can't do A2 and without this you can't get into uni. Plus most employers expect you to have GCSE's and good grades in English and Maths, it could be Science as well now, i'm not sure....

I think as long as you pass them that's all that matters, anything higher is a bonus:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Slightly OT but I've been told an 'A' at gcse is roughly equivalent to a 'C' at A-level....is that true?

ReputationRep:
    im doing AVCE ICT 2 year course, it is worth the equivalent of 3 A-Levels, what does this mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Slightly OT but I've been told an 'A' at gcse is roughly equivalent to a 'C' at A-level....is that true?
    Could be, certainly an N grade at A-level is supposed to equate to a C at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    i had heard that too before i did my AS levels, but AS is a big jump from GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    i had heard that too before i did my AS levels, but AS is a big jump from GCSE.
    It is for some subjects, but not for others...physics was a real step up, but biology wasnt really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    It is for some subjects, but not for others...physics was a real step up, but biology wasnt really.
    true, i can't quote this for all the A levels but most of mine were, apart from general studies of course, which is easy...

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.