Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

do A levels matter after watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    Aiiiiiiiiiii!

Alright, I was thinking of people joining the course at age 18 or 19 straight from school. .. sorry

They are still a majority on these undergrad courses then?

rosie
    30% of an annual intake is not insignificant. And that is without including the GEP courses

I know medics with CEE at A-Level

(Original post by Fluffy)
    30% of an annual intake is not insignificant. And that is without including the GEP courses

I know medics with CEE at A-Level
    i never said it was insignificant

i said it was still a minority (albeit a sizeable one)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    i never said it was insignificant

i said it was still a minority (albeit a sizeable one)
    No - you said
    (Original post by crana)
    except virtually all med school graduates will have extremely similar Alevels
    I just get narked with peopel spouting you need AAAA or don't apply, and similar comments. Tommorrows Doctors is thankfully putting pay to the Drs need to be 'mega academics' veiw point, and potentially great doctors are now getting the chance to train.

I would be saddened if a throw away comment made someone quesiton the viability of persuing their dreams...

No - you said
    I just get narked with peopel spouting you need AAAA or don't apply, and similar comments. Tommorrows Doctors is thankfully putting pay to the Drs need to be 'mega academics' veiw point, and potentially great doctors are now getting the chance to train.

I would be saddened if a throw away comment made someone quesiton the viability of persuing their dreams...

ah sorry that was before you pointed out about the graduates, mature students etc - like i said I was thinking about people going at 18 - and overlooked that quite a few people don't.

I still think though that, apart from people who were disadvantaged in their A-levels so their grades were not a fair reflection of their ability, doctors should be at least fairly academic. OK, so A-levels don't completely reflect a person's abilities, but I wouldn't really trust someone who, when not disadvantaged, could only get D's and E's etc in their A-levels, to give me treatments etc. A levels are hard, ok, but they are not THAT hard and anyone with half a brain and some motivation should really do better than that. a lot of the doctors I have come across are daft enough as it is.

oh and also - I would question someone's motivation and drive to be a doctor if reading a comment on a messageboard that was, as you say "throw away" made someone deeply question whether they could pursue their dreams (well, OK, I'd be happy for the person to question their wishes, but not for it to seriously put them off without at least researching the issue first to see if I was, in fact, talking crap!)

sorry to post again but I have a thing against editing posts, I don't know why.

How about if I refine my statement to "People with medical degrees tend to have more similar A-levels than, say, people with biology degrees"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    oh and also - I would question someone's motivation and drive to be a doctor if reading a comment on a messageboard that was, as you say "throw away" made someone deeply question whether they could pursue their dreams (well, OK, I'd be happy for the person to question their wishes, but not for it to seriously put them off without at least researching the issue first to see if I was, in fact, talking crap!)
    get a grip!

There are 14, 15 and 16 year olds that use these boards, and probably rely on them heavily.

I know what it's like to be that age and told that you are useless!

Motivation and encouragement is the name of the game!

get a grip!

There are 14, 15 and 16 year olds that use these boards, and probably rely on them heavily.

I know what it's like to be that age and told that you are useless!

Motivation and encouragement is the name of the game!
    oh come on..saying people leaving medical school have very similar a levels is hardly telling people they are useless.

even at 14, 15, or 16, people have the ability to look into matters independently and make their own minds up based on the facts they find out, and if they don't, imho they are unlikely to be successful in being a doctor.

i am not going to encourage people who want to be doctors because they think Casualty looks quite exciting to apply to medical school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    just wondering. i mean if some1 got 3 e's at A level but still got a place at university will the bad A levels still contribute to their reputation if they have a degree
    I suppose that it depends on what you want to do after you have finished your degree course. But from personal experience I can tell you that A level grades have proven to be more of an issue at interviews than my degree. I think it may be that A levels are seen as better descriminators.

John

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    I always thought that your degree kinda overshadowed A Levels..

Oh well...... I'll just ask another question:

Do GCSE grades matter? Mine are crud, but I improved dramatically during AS and hopefully A2...
    If you have a degree and you have GCSE English and Mathmatics, then I do not think that your GCSEs matter.

Since so many get similar degree results, sifting of CVs by big employers is often done on A levels.

John

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Slightly OT but I've been told an 'A' at gcse is roughly equivalent to a 'C' at A-level....is that true?

No.

John

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Slightly OT but I've been told an 'A' at gcse is roughly equivalent to a 'C' at A-level....is that true?
    A levels are much more advanced, maybe an A GCSE is like a C at AS, but certainly not at A2.

When I look back at some of the stuff I found hard at GCSE it all seems really easy now apart from Maths which I have always found hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    At the end of the day an E's a pass, so you can get into university with E's or D's.
    Not a good university. lol, im sure the uni you come from matters a lot, too.

(Original post by RobbieC)
    Not a good university. lol, im sure the uni you come from matters a lot, too.
    good point, although even Cambridge sometimes makes EE offers

ReputationRep:
    Really though, the purpose of A-levels is not just to get into uni...they go on ur CV, so will be seen by future employers, so bad grades will not impress i'm sure! And Cambridge only make EE offers to ease the pressure, I'm sure no candidate has ever actually ended up with only EE.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.