When Primary Haloalkanes react with :OH- and :CN- nucleophiles is it always SN1?

Watch
Sam00
Badges: 17
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am currently revising Organic Chemistry, not for an AS exam, but at the same level as AS student would study.

One of the criteria is: Describe the mechanism of the reaction of primary haloalkanes with the nucleophiles :OH- and :CN-.

I understand about the bond polarity with the C-X bond, and therefore the nucleophiles attack the polarised bond and substitute the halogen atom which gives rise to a halogen ion, and also a nitrile (in the case of :CN-)

But I am confused as to what an SN1 and SN2 reaction is, and if you can have different ones for Primary Alkanes, and is it the same for an :OH- as it is with a :CN-
charco
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sam00)
I am currently revising Organic Chemistry, not for an AS exam, but at the same level as AS student would study.

One of the criteria is: Describe the mechanism of the reaction of primary haloalkanes with the nucleophiles :OH- and :CN-.

I understand about the bond polarity with the C-X bond, and therefore the nucleophiles attack the polarised bond and substitute the halogen atom which gives rise to a halogen ion, and also a nitrile (in the case of :CN-)

But I am confused as to what an SN1 and SN2 reaction is, and if you can have different ones for Primary Alkanes, and is it the same for an :OH- as it is with a :CN-
Primary haloalkanes it is always SN2
Sam00
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by charco)
Primary haloalkanes it is always SN2
Thanks, that's what I meant, I tried to edit but it wouldn't let me.

Is the mechanism whereby a :NU substitutes a halogen the same for both OH- and CH- nucleophiles?

Many thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (192)
5.04%
Uncertainty around my education (555)
14.56%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (427)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (525)
13.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (189)
4.96%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (228)
5.98%
Loneliness (319)
8.37%
Financial worries (141)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (149)
3.91%
Exposure to negative news/social media (170)
4.46%
Lack of real life entertainment (217)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (341)
8.95%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (358)
9.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise