Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I went out with some friends and right at the end when we were leaving they brought up major mental health issues they're experiencing and to which doctors are being no help at all!! I knew that they both had battles with issues before, and Lord knows things don't totally go away but now it's getting really bad. Not able to leave the house at times bad. I have personal experience with depression, anxiety and panic attacks but I just don't know what to do. As we were leaving I just felt like jumping out of my own skin with helplessness.

Neither of their partners believe in these mental health conditions, and have said so :angry:

Friend A keeps telling her doctors she needs help and medicine but they only offer her counselling with a mile long wait list and no one to take care of her toddler even if she did it. She knows medication will help from past experiences but right now she can't get it. I urged her to try more doctors until she gets the help she needs, which she hopes to do but her anxiety is a factor there.

Friend B needs talking therapy but her doctors just offer her medication.

The examples they gave of how these things are impacting their lives show they are are in a world of pain, their relationships are strained to breaking point (almost did recently) and their jobs are being put in jeopardy.

Is this just a horrible incidence where I have to watch it play out? Just offer kind words and hope for the best?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    So I went out with some friends and right at the end when we were leaving they brought up major mental health issues they're experiencing and to which doctors are being no help at all!! I knew that they both had battles with issues before, and Lord knows things don't totally go away but now it's getting really bad. Not able to leave the house at times bad. I have personal experience with depression, anxiety and panic attacks but I just don't know what to do. As we were leaving I just felt like jumping out of my own skin with helplessness.

Neither of their partners believe in these mental health conditions, and have said so :angry:

Friend A keeps telling her doctors she needs help and medicine but they only offer her counselling with a mile long wait list and no one to take care of her toddler even if she did it. She knows medication will help from past experiences but right now she can't get it. I urged her to try more doctors until she gets the help she needs, which she hopes to do but her anxiety is a factor there.

Friend B needs talking therapy but her doctors just offer her medication.

The examples they gave of how these things are impacting their lives show they are are in a world of pain, their relationships are strained to breaking point (almost did recently) and their jobs are being put in jeopardy.

Is this just a horrible incidence where I have to watch it play out? Just offer kind words and hope for the best?
    Sounds like they should swap doctors :P

You can't do much other that just support them. Listen to them, be patient with them, try to include them in things they will enjoy (and hopefully won't stress them out), offer advice if you have any but don't try to offer advice when you have none.
    You've had some experience so try to think what would have been good for you.

They could both do with trying to see a different doctor, or even better an actual psychiatrist. If B wants talking therapy they could look into counselling or support groups (MHSS on here could help).
    Encourage both of them to be honest with doctors about how they are and what their issues mean in terms of their life. If it is affecting parenting or relationships say. My father and I both got better help once we opened up more.

Also be sure to be good to yourself and not feel guilty or helpless because of it. You sound like a really good friend trying to help them as best you can. Just don't got too caught up in how they are and forget about your own wellbeing (said from experience).

Best wishes to all of you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Sounds like they should swap doctors :P

You can't do much other that just support them. Listen to them, be patient with them, try to include them in things they will enjoy (and hopefully won't stress them out), offer advice if you have any but don't try to offer advice when you have none.
    You've had some experience so try to think what would have been good for you.

They could both do with trying to see a different doctor, or even better an actual psychiatrist. If B wants talking therapy they could look into counselling or support groups (MHSS on here could help).
    Encourage both of them to be honest with doctors about how they are and what their issues mean in terms of their life. If it is affecting parenting or relationships say. My father and I both got better help once we opened up more.

Also be sure to be good to yourself and not feel guilty or helpless because of it. You sound like a really good friend trying to help them as best you can. Just don't got too caught up in how they are and forget about your own wellbeing (said from experience).

Best wishes to all of you
    I know they should totally swap :lol:

Thanks for your response, and those parts highlighted in particular. Unfortunately with childcare and work they often have valid excuses for not being able to do things but I hope they can find things like support groups, I agree that they would be helpful. The NHS really is their only option financially so a psychiatrist is unlikely unless the GP refers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    I know they should totally swap :lol:

Thanks for your response, and those parts highlighted in particular. Unfortunately with childcare and work they often have valid excuses for not being able to do things but I hope they can find things like support groups, I agree that they would be helpful. The NHS really is their only option financially so a psychiatrist is unlikely unless the GP refers.
    Hi, is it possible they can visit their GPs, and get referrals to new doctors possibly?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.