Does coddling young people do more damage?

Watch
Blue_Mason
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have noticed a current trend of coddling young people who are going through a small rough patch.
hezzlington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can you please provide more context..?
ivybridge
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think this depends on the situation and what you define as 'coddling' and 'a smal rough patch'.
Blue_Mason
Rep:
?
(Original post by hezzlington)
Can you please provide more context..?

Its like young people feel entitled to receiving compliments and handouts.
For example you wake up one morning and you feel ugly, omg I need somebody to tell me that I am beautiful.
You get a standard qualification, and you expect a ceremony.
Blue_Mason
Rep:
?
(Original post by ivybridge)
I think this depends on the situation and what you define as 'coddling' and 'a smal rough patch'.

Okay let me give you an example, there was a thread about a young girl who mask her face with makeup to cover her acne.
I was saying that it was wrong to encourage her, but others were saying the opposite
ivybridge
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Blue_Mason)
Okay let me give you an example, there was a thread about a young girl who mask her face with makeup to cover her acne.
I was saying that it was wrong to encourage her, but others were saying the opposite
Not sure how this is a "small rough patch" though...?
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It isn't worth encouraging him.
Zargabaath
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Perhaps he's referring to the acne, as a small patch of rough skin? :holmes:

More likely he's just trying to be controversial and edgy for the sake of attention
Blue_Mason
Rep:
?

Because it is not unusual for a teenager to have acne, hence a small rough patch.
ODES_PDES
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wtf is coddling?
Milzime
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ODES_PDES)
Wtf is coddling?
ohhhh darling don't worry it's all okay

etc
Blue_Mason
Rep:
?
(Original post by Milzime)
ohhhh darling don't worry it's all okay

etc

Exactly my point
Elivercury
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think you're mistaking "coddling" and "encouraging" with "minding your own damn business" and "stop attempting to shame her".

They are quite different things.
Betelgeuse-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
She might have a very small face?
mero22
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, a girl on youtube did a power of makeup video and said her acne made her unhappy but she started to love herself. Now she does makeup because it's fun.
Makeup is art. Also there's a video on youtube called you look disgusting. Even when she wore makeup people called her terrible things online.
Blue_Mason
Rep:
?
(Original post by Elivercury)
I think you're mistaking "coddling" and "encouraging" with "minding your own damn business" and "stop attempting to shame her".

They are quite different things.

Why would you encourage a person to mask their face with makeup, when deep down you know it can only make things worse for the long term?
You would not call her beautiful without makeup
Elivercury
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why would you encourage a person to mask their face with makeup, when deep down you know it can only make things worse for the long term?
There is no encouragement. The question was "what do you think of this girl who wears too much makeup, I think she's gross" (paraphrasing).

Ultimately her makeup is her business and no one else's - there is no encouraging going on, simply leaving her to her business. Does she wear too much make-up? Possibly. Is it any of your concern? Not in the slightest.

Do you go around suggesting to ugly women (or men?) that they put more makeup on to try and improve things?
x-bhakti-patel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
in a way i understand as if u put make-up on acne wouldnt it make it worse, instead you should leave your skin to heal itself or something. Not sure if what i said is right?
Blue_Mason
Rep:
?
(Original post by mero22)
No, a girl on youtube did a power of makeup video and said her acne made her unhappy but she started to love herself. Now she does makeup because it's fun.
Makeup is art. Also there's a video on youtube called you look disgusting. Even when she wore makeup people called her terrible things online.

Yes I have seen that video, I remember she did a program about cyber bullying
Blue_Mason
Rep:
?
(Original post by x-bhakti-patel)
in a way i understand as if u put make-up on acne wouldnt it make it worse, instead you should leave your skin to heal itself or something. Not sure if what i said is right?

Finally a person understands
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (676)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads