The Student Room Group

OCR MEI M1 (Mechanics) 17th June

Scroll to see replies

Do people agree with these answers to Q4?

4. a=(0, -8). u= (2, 6).
t=2 speed=10.19ms^-1.
y=3x-x^2 proven.
Original post by Connorbwfc
Do people agree with these answers to Q4?

4. a=(0, -8). u= (2, 6).
t=2 speed=10.19ms^-1.
y=3x-x^2 proven.

wasnt u (2 6) - (0 8)t
Original post by Synmatic
wasnt u (2 6) - (0 8)t

Yes and initially t=0, so it is (2, 6) I think.

I got the angle of 30 too but i struggles with the first parts of the question, i think my equations were: 4*9.8-T=4a and 4*9.8+T=8a and then got a as 12. something

Overall I didn't like this exam especially the beginning of section A and the end of section B

i think mine were t=8a and -t+4g=4a

Same here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes and initially t=0, so it is (2, 6) I think.

ah you're right dammit
Original post by Synmatic
ah you're right dammit

Did it ask for the initial velocity?

If so I think I am correct, but I'm not too sure now haha.
Did it ask for the initial velocity?

If so I think I am correct, but I'm not too sure now haha.

They should've specified initial velocity instead of 'u'
You are correct u is (2 6)
Do people agree with these similarities and differences?

For A and B
Same: Constant acceleration of 10 for first 5 seconds.
Different: for 5-8 seconds A=accelerating, B=constant speed.

For B and C
Same: Both have a constant speed for 5-8 seconds. Both accelerating from 0-5 seconds.
Different: Different constant speed for 5-8 seconds -25 vs 50.
(edited 7 years ago)
For the second to last questio of 7, i worked out the angles to workou t sinalpha and beta so i ended up getting an acceleration of -5×10^-4 instead of 0. Will i lose many marks??
Original post by prepdream
For the pigeon question, I set like 4=ut+1/2at^2, tried to solve it and said that there is no real root for the equation so it cant reach the pigeon? How do you guys solve this one?

I solved it by finding the maximum vertical displacement of the stone, i.e. where vertical velocity = 0. This was under 4m, so the stone could not have hit the pigeon. Your method sounds fine too, though :smile:
How many marks is question 4 if anyone can remember? :smile:
Bloody forgot to put t=0 for u oh well
did anybody else forget to divide the 7500N but 9.8 to find the mass in the 7th question part ii.
Original post by prepdream
How many marks is question 4 if anyone can remember? :smile:
Bloody forgot to put t=0 for u oh well

the full question was 8 marks
Do people agree with these similarities and differences?

For A and B
Same: Constant acceleration of 5 for first 5 seconds.
Different: for 5-8 seconds A=accelerating, B=constant speed.

For B and C
Same: Both have a constant speed for 5-8 seconds. Both accelerating from 0-5 seconds.
Different: Different constant speed for 5-8 seconds -25 vs 50.

I answered exactly the same as you for B and C!

My answer for A and B was different, though, but I'm fairly sure I got that one wrong. Something about not taking mass into account for similarity (which on hindsight was probably completely irrelevant :closedeyes:) and for the difference I put that initial acceleration for A was 5 whereas it was 10 for B
(edited 7 years ago)
I can't believe I messed up the last question so bad when working out acceleration. I forgot that alpha and beta change and used my values of sin alpha and sin beta from an earlier part. Would I get any marks?
Original post by zabveniye
I answered exactly the same as you for B and C!My answer for A and B was different, though, but I'm fairly sure I got that one wrong. Something about not taking mass into account for similarity (which on hindsight was probably completely irrelevant :closedeyes:) and for the difference I put that initial acceleration for A was 5 whereas it was 10 for B
I put that d=5T^2 for the first five seconds for both. In my original post it was meant to say 10 instead of 5 btw in the similarities for A and B.
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
I can't believe I messed up the last question so bad when working out acceleration. I forgot that alpha and beta change and used my values of sin alpha and sin beta from an earlier part. Would I get any marks?

I did this too. Did you get a value of 4.01 for a?

I think we will probably get 2/4 marks. What do you reckon?
Reply 78
What does everyone think the grade boundaries will be?
Reply 79
What a **** show that was

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending