Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    1) Which feature of the life cycle of some viruses may result in the development of cancer?

A. Viral RNA can integrate into the chromosomes of host cells.
    B. Viruses can cause cell lysis and spread to other host cells.
    C. Viruses can cause loss of function mutations in proto-oncogenes.
    D. Viruses can increase the rate of the cell cycle of host cells.

Whats the answer and why?

2) What happens when a cell that is infected by HIV divides by mitosis?

A. Viral DNA is made from viral RNA.
    B) Viral DNA is replicated.
    C) Viral RNA is replicated.
    D) Viral RNA is transcribed from viral DNA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rjrjrj)
    1) Which feature of the life cycle of some viruses may result in the development of cancer?

A. Viral RNA can integrate into the chromosomes of host cells.
    B. Viruses can cause cell lysis and spread to other host cells.
    C. Viruses can cause loss of function mutations in proto-oncogenes.
    D. Viruses can increase the rate of the cell cycle of host cells.

2) What happens when a cell that is infected by HIV divides by mitosis?

A. Viral DNA is made from viral RNA.
    B) Viral DNA is replicated.
    C) Viral RNA is replicated.
    D) Viral RNA is transcribed from viral DNA.

1) Think about what cancer actually is. It is the rapid and uncontrollable proliferation of cells. Therefore, what causes this?

2) Think about mitosis in general. What occurs in Prophase, Anaphase, Metaphase and Telophase? What are the end products? Apply this to a HIV infected cell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lighfy)
    1) Think about what cancer actually is. It is the rapid and uncontrollable proliferation of cells. Therefore, what causes this?

2) Think about mitosis in general. What occurs in Prophase, Anaphase, Metaphase and Telophase? What are the end products? Apply this to a HIV infected cell.
    So, is the answer D for question 1 and B for question 2??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rjrjrj)
    So, is the answer D for question 1 and B for question 2??
    I'd say so! Mutagens can increase the rate of the cell cycle, thus cellular equilibrium cannot be maintained and so more cells are produced in comparison to the number of cells dying.

In mitosis the viral DNA will be replicated so that when the parent cell divides the daughter cells will contain the equal volume of genetic material.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lighfy)
    I'd say so! Mutagens can increase the rate of the cell cycle, thus cellular equilibrium cannot be maintained and so more cells are produced in comparison to the number of cells dying.

In mitosis the viral DNA will be replicated so that when the parent cell divides the daughter cells will contain the equal volume of genetic material.
    I thought HIV is a RNA virus, so its RNA would be replicated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snmk007)
    I thought HIV is a RNA virus, so its RNA would be replicated
    You're right, HIV is an RNA virus. However, it falls into the subgroup of 'retroviruses' which insert an RNA copy into the target cell. It can then use its own reverse transcriptase enzymes to produce a DNA genome from the RNA. So I'd imagine that it's the DNA that would be replicated.

Although please correct me if I'm wrong

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.