Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Vegetarians and Vegans-I have a question to ask you. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Say I got a few cells from a cow/chicken etc. and could grow it into meat in the lab.The animal is unharmed and is still alive.The meat grown in the lab taste the same as if it was obtained via slaughter.
    Would you then eat the meat since the animal was unharmed ?

ReputationRep:
    I don't miss meat so don't really care tbh but I guess I'd give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    Just to add, this has already been achieved. The resulting meat/process is called in vitro meat.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_vitro_meat
    take a look

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightonDunkley)
    I don't miss meat so don't really care tbh but I guess I'd give it a go.
    Yeah same here it's been two years so I no longer want meat anymore but I think I would be willing to try it

ReputationRep:
    I can't help wondering this myself although I eat meat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Spartan)
    Just to add, this has already been achieved. The resulting meat/process is called in vitro meat.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_vitro_meat
    take a look
    I know this already ,but it does not taste as good as real meat from slaughtered animals,so they still have a lot to do.
    That is why I added and it tasted as good as if it was obtained the traditional way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Say I got a few cells from a cow/chicken etc. and could grow it into meat in the lab.The animal is unharmed and is still alive.The meat grown in the lab taste the same as if it was obtained via slaughter.
    No I wouldn't. Meat grosses me out - even the smell sometimes makes me feel nauseas. The thought of the blood and the fact it was once living I just :afraid:

I also don't eat meat for religious reasons, along with the fact I don't want to kill animals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celloel)
    The thought of the blood.
    Don't worry there isn't any blood in the meat we eat.

ReputationRep:
    I'm under the impression that many people become vegetarians because the animals are treated horribly (i.e battery farms)

In this scenario surely there's no moral justification to refusing meat?

ReputationRep:
    I'm vegetarian. You cAn do as you please.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm not fully vegetarian yet though I do spend some days eating just vegetarian stuff like salad and the reason that is because it makes me feel less bloated and in general better. Meat makes my skin feel so horrible. I don't stand for animal cruelty but that reason for becoming vegetarian would not be as important as the one about feeling better, health wise

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpe Diem Jay)
    I'm under the impression that many people become vegetarians because the animals are treated horribly (i.e battery farms)

In this scenario surely there's no moral justification to refusing meat?
    This is true, although I'm sure some Christians may argue that it's playing God to engineer something like this.

I'm vegetarian and simply wouldn't as just the smell puts me off meat. I was brought up vegetarian because my parents both were so the ethical issues were more of an after thought if I'm honest, I just have such a little desire to ever try it

ReputationRep:
    I just don't like meat. Growing food in a lab seems like it would bring its own problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Vegetarian here and the answer is NO

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.