Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

MC TC offer/ 2.1 condition. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, just looking for some advice on a very sticky situation.

Just finished my law finals at a top 10 university, and one exam went horrendously, (at the worst possible time in my degree). There is a good chance of me missing my 2.1 and my MC TC offer. I was on course for a solid 2.1, but this exam has the potential to cripple my average.

Just how screwed am I here, for general employment? I know that the legal sector would probably be out of the window with the 2.2, but would my experience help me in any other sectors. I understand that my firm probably won't take me on with the 2.2, so obviously thinking ahead for contingency plans.

My background is 3 vacation schemes, MC, SC, US.
    10 weeks working in legal at a hedge fund.
    3 Months spent working in developing country.
    3 months working at a private bank
    5 months legal experience before university
    2 months working at emerging markets consultancy

I also have lots of extra curricular, but not sure if this counts for much, if the degree is not up to scratch.

Thank you for any advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1993)
    Hi everyone, just looking for some advice on a very sticky situation.

Just finished my law finals at a top 10 university, and one exam went horrendously, (at the worst possible time in my degree). There is a good chance of me missing my 2.1 and my MC TC offer. I was on course for a solid 2.1, but this exam has the potential to cripple my average.

Just how screwed am I here, for general employment? I know that the legal sector would probably be out of the window with the 2.2, but would my experience help me in any other sectors. I understand that my firm probably won't take me on with the 2.2, so obviously thinking ahead for contingency plans.

My background is 3 vacation schemes, MC, SC, US.
    10 weeks working in legal at an hedge fund.
    3 Months spent working in developing country.
    3 months working at a private bank
    5 months legal experience before university
    2 months working at emerging markets consultancy

I also have lots of extra curricular, but not sure if this counts for much, if the degree is not up to scratch.

Thank you for any advice!
    Maybe you're just panicking? Lots of people do better than they thought they did. You mentioned you were on track for a solid 2.1. If it's solid, maybe one mark won't influence it that bad? Is there an extenuating circumstance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why not wait until you know rather than panicking about it now, potentially unnecessarily.

Even if you have got a 2.2, your firm might still allow you to join especially if all your other grades suggest this one exam is an anomaly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ldnrenee)
    Maybe you're just panicking? Lots of people do better than they thought they did. You mentioned you were on track for a solid 2.1. If it's solid, maybe one mark won't influence it that bad? Is there an extenuating circumstance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No mitigating circumstances, just a bad day. I'm on about 65, but I'm talking about a third here..

(Original post by J-SP)
    Why not wait until you know rather than panicking about it now, potentially unnecessarily.

Even if you have got a 2.2, your firm might still allow you to join especially if all your other grades suggest this one exam is an anomaly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you.

I just think it's worth having a contingency plan, and not just waiting for reality to strike.

All my marks in first year/second year were at 2.1/higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1993)
    No mitigating circumstances, just a bad day. I'm on about 65, but I'm talking about a third here..

Thank you.

I just think it's worth having a contingency plan, and not just waiting for reality to strike.

All my marks in first year/second year were at 2.1/higher.
    Your results will be out in a matter of weeks. If the outcome is what you expect, there is little you can do about changing career path in that time - most graduate programmes are not even open until later in the summer.

Reassess when you have your results. Your first port of call if you haven't got a 2.1 is to request a meeting with your firm and to discuss the matter with them first. If you present one disastrous grade amongst all the others being 2.1s or above, I think they are likely to show some discretion depending on your reasons for doing so poorly in the one exam (no chance if you just walked out, more chance if you just misjudged what would be covered in the exam).

You should also seek out an academic reference from your uni to support your academic ability and also to potentially explain why the one exam went badly.

You could also seek to appeal the exam result with the university.

I just think you are being slightly over paranoid (seen this 1000s of times before) and then not thinking about ways to stick to your intended path of the outcome is what you think it will be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.