Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really have the desire to study physiotherapy in university. I am 20 years old, and have been rejected constantly, university after university. I even decided to apply for a healthcare assistant apprenticeship to gain a bit of work experience in a caring profession. But guess what? I get rejected again. No surprise there. I have the grades and everything. Being rejected is pretty much very common in my life. I don't understand why. I work so hard, and hard work never seems to pay off. This has made me very depressed.

I still want to achieve my goal in becoming a physiotherapist, so does this route seem realistic?

Complete an undergrad in sports rehabilitation, and then a masters in physiotherapy.

If you guys know any courses that are similar to physiotherapy, that also lead to jobs high in demand, please let me know.
    Thank you.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by unaManzana)
    I really have the desire to study physiotherapy in university. I am 20 years old, and have been rejected constantly, university after university. I even decided to apply for a healthcare assistant apprenticeship to gain a bit of work experience in a caring profession. But guess what? I get rejected again. No surprise there. I have the grades and everything. Being rejected is pretty much very common in my life. I don't understand why. I work so hard, and hard work never seems to pay off. This has made me very depressed.

I still want to achieve my goal in becoming a physiotherapist, so does this route seem realistic?

Complete an undergrad in sports rehabilitation, and then a masters in physiotherapy.

If you guys know any courses that are similar to physiotherapy, that also lead to jobs high in demand, please let me know.
    Thank you.
    Are you able to get experience through voluntary work instead? If you have the grades then i would say get some voluntary experience and give it one more try (there's no nhs bursary from next year so that should make it less competitve from then on) and if worst comes to worse then the masters route could be a good way to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unaManzana)

Thank you.
    The masters is even more competitive and you would only be delaying this for 3 more years. Other 'sports science' degrees do not lead to physiotherapy careers or NHS health professional careers and they're not hugely employable - that why you get so many sports sci grads applying for physio and a lot of them actually apply for physio undergrad because the MSc is ridiculously competitive and they can still get funded (tuition) for the 3 year course - covering living costs for a 2nd NHS degree is a MAJOR struggle. So unless you want to spend 6 years at uni being poor or taking your chances on getting onto the MSc which isn't a guarantee then save yourself a lot of bother and just improve your application for undergrad and try again.

I got rejected too and it took me 2 years to get my place AND I had to go back to college and work as a HCA on a gap year. If you want it badly enough, improve your application, be competitive and don't give up.

You sound really defeated. Don't take rejection personally - it happens to everyone at some point even really really successful people - no one gets anything easily unless you're born into serious wealth - so don't ever let that put you off anything.

If you want something then go and get it and if someone says 'no' then get better and be better than all the competition. On that note, you don't even have to reply to this but just ask yourself: what work exp do you have? Do you meet the grade requirements? What do you do in your spare time? Where are you apply for HCA jobs and how are you competitive?

My advice on those points:

- Email any local (or even non-local!!!) hospitals for work experience. Organise well in advance. I personally organised my own work exp AND I traveled by bus and train for 200 miles for my placement because my local hosp point blank refuses work exp and only gives 'taster days' for school children. So I traveled to the opposite end of the country and saved up my money from my job to stay in a holiday inn for unpaid work experience.

- If you can't get work exp and can't afford to go far OR you want more work exp then volunteer locally - I'm not talking about a charity shop either, get relevant patient centered experience in the NHS. Google the different organisations that have voluntary roles in hospitals. Don't email. Phone them or better go into a hospital and find their office and tell them you want to volunteer. Be proactive and keen.

- Grades. Make sure you meet them for every uni you apply to. If you just meet them and don't surpass them then it's not compulsory but I would say it's a good idea to show your determination and interest by doing a course era or Edx online course - all are free. It won't go on UCAS qualifications section but you can include it in you PS. This is really good esp if you're taking a year out.

- Hobbies. Make sure you have something interesting to say at interview because EVERY interviewer asked me about hobbies. It's great if you have one that includes other people e.g. team sports etc but not 100% necessary. If you can't think of anything that start now - enter an online poetry competition of a local jogging club (google 'park run' - just something to demonstrate a non-academic interest that you have and then say something positive about it e.g. ''I have beaten my personal best at park run and it has been fun to run with others and encourage them to beat their personal best too/won 1st prize poetry competition and read it to children during my hospital volunteering /taught myself piano and played at a local event etc etc etc''. Basically: 1. Hobby 2. Achievement in that hobby. 3. How it relates to other people.

- As for getting a HCA job - your work exp and volutary work are going to be the key to this because these roles are surprisingly competitive and there are people olde than you with 20+ years experiences as HCAs/Careers and now they have NVQs in care and a lot of places won't even interview unless you either have an NVQ level 2 in care OR at least 1 year experience. I had neither and got rejected from practically everywhere. So I volunteers, got work expereince and then I tried again BUT this time I didn't apply to full time roles I applied for NHS bank positions, temp staff, home care, part time, zero hour etc etc -eveything. Apply for the ones that no one wants to do e.g. temp nights or zero hour home care and beleive me you WILL get a job offer without experience of NVQ 2. I did it!! Now I have 2 years working as a HCA, 1 year hosp volunteer, 3 physio placements, saved money for uni, and got a place!!!

The best things out of all of this is that I have a LOT of healthcare experience and I've become very determined. So when I'm on placement I'm comfortable in the NHS environment. I know people who went straight from school to uni and just did a few weeks work experience and had top A-levels. They're thrown in at the deep end on placement because they've never worked before and they're never worked in healthcare - only observed. So you are at an advantage right now and you should see this positively - get a ton of experience, listen to my advice about jobs and try again. You will go into you physio course very well prepared.

Good luck, don't give up.

ps. typos everywhere I'm in a rush!

ReputationRep:
    Was pretty much going to type EXACTLY the same thing as Katie! I applied 3 times and got in, to one of the best in the country! Hang in there!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.