Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sooooooo, today was just a horrible day. I felt like today's paper was harder than the specimen papers that edexcel gave us.

I just wanted to get a general vibe on how people felt about today's paper?

Aaaaaand if anyone's got "model answers" or a mark scheme of some sort that someone's made, or just want to vent or discuss today's paper, feel free to share!

ReputationRep:
    It was very … weird… I felt as if I could have revised absolutely everything and understood the whole textbook and specification and it still wouldn't have really prepared me. The questions were very weird and didn't really relate to anything I'd learned. I cannot even imagine what the mark schemes going to look like

ReputationRep:
    Everyone I've talked to or seen on TSR has said the same thing; they're just completely baffled by the whole paper. All the questions seemed like they were being so indirect.
    Really hope the mark scheme will be modified (or something like that) because the range of answers they'll get that aren't wrong must make them consider it. They just didn't ask any simple questions, I can understand some more complex qs but they all were!!

ReputationRep:
    What did people write for the final question : assess the relative chances of the combination of alleles in the male gametes( or something). I'm still not sure what this question is actually asking so I just waffled on about something which is probably completely irrelevant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovefruit)
    What did people write for the final question : assess the relative chances of the combination of alleles in the male gametes( or something). I'm still not sure what this question is actually asking so I just waffled on about something which is probably completely irrelevant

This was to do with how close the genes were to each other, and how that affects whether the crossing over of chromosomes or the independent assortment of chromatids affected the allele combination in the gametes produced by the male. That was a fair application question which I was originally expecting, however there were far tougher tougher questions throughout the paper.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.