The Student Room Group

Why do people try to have relationships so young?

I never got it myself: you're at high school (or even less) and you're with people you'll probably never see again once you leave. Why do people try to go out with girls and have relationships, it's highly unlikely it'll be someone you'd end up having a serious relationship with. Also, why so young? Only less than 18 and what, why do they want to get involved with someone that young?

I'm not criticising it, btw, these are genuine questions I'm wondering.

Personally, I've never really talked to girls much, let alone tried to have a relationship with one. Saving that for later.

Scroll to see replies

It seems important at the time, or that people around you are doing it so why not.

It sucks to see' 'I'm 16 and I've never been kissed, help' type threads.
Original post by similarBlank
I never got it myself: you're at high school (or even less) and you're with people you'll probably never see again once you leave. Why do people try to go out with girls and have relationships, it's highly unlikely it'll be someone you'd end up having a serious relationship with. Also, why so young? Only less than 18 and what, why do they want to get involved with someone that young?

Personally, I've never really talked to girls much, let alone tried to have a relationship with one. Saving that for later.

Same, i am a girl and i really dont want to think about these type of things until after i settle down in life, and i have also never talked to boys that much as well, so i understand :smile:
Original post by SeanFM
It seems important at the time, or that people around you are doing it so why not.

I wonder why I'm not like that? It never seemed important to me at the time and I didn't really care about other people doing it. I guess I'm just weird, huh? :tongue:
I wonder why I'm not like that? It never seemed important to me at the time and I didn't really care about other people doing it. I guess I'm just weird, huh? :tongue:

I'm not sure. But at the same time, there's no need to save relationships for later or whatever like that. Live while you're young and all of that.
Original post by SeanFM
I'm not sure. But at the same time, there's no need to save relationships for later or whatever like that. Live while you're young and all of that.

My plan is to start at University. (Which I start later this year.)

It's usually peer pressure and the idea of wanting to be "grown"
Practice, mostly.

You don't realise it at the time because when you're 16 and in love, you're flat-out convinced that the relationship is going to last 5eva after spending barely a week in each others company.

But when you look back on it a few years later, you realise just how important those early relationships were as far as:
- How to treat them.
- They're not all the same.
- Sort yo tongue out; you're trying to passionately kiss someone, not get a splinter out of your tongue using a brick.
- Forming opinions of the opposite sex (which, as per number 2, is often wrong)
- As per number 2 and number 4, making generalisations of the opposite sex based upon your limited experience is a big no-no...
- ...as is voicing those opinions to your newly found attraction (see number 2 for why you'll get laughed out of her bed)
- Etc

are concerned.

Relationships are a learning curve, and starting whilst you're in high school is a pretty good way to begin because it means you hopefully would've had enough practice (and learnt from your failings) at trying to get things right (whilst always bearing in mind number 2) by the time you're in your late teens/early 20s that you'll be able to have a serious and mature relationship.

You also learn how to find the clit using only your fingers, which is pretty much essential knowledge to anyone expecting to participate in a fumble in the dark.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hormones.....
Reply 9
I guess if your horny and attractive there is a lot of temptation. Probably one area where being an ugly duckling has some merit.
People want to mature too quickly and find it 'cool' to have a bf or a gf.

I remember in primary, the girls and guys would be in a new relationship around every 3 weeks. The people who weren't in a relationship would try to be in one since they thought of it as an achievement.
Because relationships are more meaningful and fulfilling than one night stands

Relationships with others are ofc a positive, and monogamy is ingrained in society.
Peer pressure

I would say most people at the age of 14/15/16/17 succum to peer pressure in terms of feeling they need a relationship so young. Its a lack of experience thing, a lot of people use early relationships to understand the dynamic, and lets be fair what 14/15 year old isnt interested in trying something new, like having a "boyfriend" etc. Some people aren't like that though, and thats absolutely fine to, you probably feel the way you do because you seem to lack interest in relationships at your age, which is absolutely fine and pretty normal.

For me it was curiosity originally, my first "relationship" (not sure you can even call it that!) lasted a total of one month when i was 14, but it was nothing like a relationship two adults would share, more like friends. But then on the flipside a month after my first boyfriend I was asked out (sounds so corny now haha) by my current boyfriend, and that was a different relationship, we started out as amazingly good friends and as we got older we got more serious. We have been together over 4 years now, so i guess i have seen both sides to the story!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mehhhh.... I used to think it was just peer pressure....

However when I was 14 I met a girl I fell for hard..... extremely hard, 10 years later I still think about her on the odd occasion. It's a shame because we used to be such close friends, I dunno if it was because we got on so well or the hormones.... being a teenager and in love can such pretty hard. I've been in love since and it's never hurt as much as it did back then.

i'd agree with you until i was about 14 then everything changed and i was in relationships until about 3 years ago and now i chose professionalism and building a career over romance and cheap sex and basically vowed to stick to it until i'm 30 or my business turns over a £1,000,000 in total
Original post by SeanFM

This.

Also; peer pressure, feeling inadequate for not having the experience of a relationship, hormones (read: horny), wanting to experience relationships, wanting to experience mutual infatuate/love.

Relationships in high school can last. I've seen it happen. It's very unlikely, but it does occur. Sadly the vast majority of people aged around 16 lack emotional maturity so these relationships die a quick death, but it's an experience to learn from. Nothing wrong with dating at a young age, and I somewhat encourage it, but it shouldn't be as important to youngsters as they make it out to be.
Reply 18
Because they can do whatever they damn like.
Reply 19
Lol "16 and never done this or that with someone"

19 and never experienced anything.. makes me feel like complete and utter sh*t.... & it's probably a sign I will never experience anything of the sort... I gave up on any hope I had after my birthday...:sad: :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending