Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should radical students/others take over the Conservative Party? Watch

ReputationRep:
    No Change in the UK happens without Conservative backing - eg failed liberal voting system changes, failed labour regionalism/federalism, failed Scottish Indy and failed (or will be) Brexit.

Thus
    If you want a fairer UK take over your local Conservative party (entryism) and make it represent something totally different. Go as individuals or couples and over a few months take total control of the Conservative party at local level.This is the only way to get change in the UK - take over the Tory party.entryism:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entryism

What are your thoughts?

A typical example:
    http://www.bromleyconservatives.co.uk/get-involved

ReputationRep:
    I reminds me of the silly idea that used to be spammed around suggesting people boycotted Esso for one day. The theory being that one days loss would make it stand up and listen. It never happened and made little difference. But Esso petrol is in decline but due to competition not high jinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    No Change in the UK happens without Conservative backing - eg failed liberal voting system changes, failed labour regionalism/federalism, failed Scottish Indy and failed (or will be) Brexit.

Thus
    If you want a fairer UK take over your local Conservative party (entryism) and make it represent something totally different. Go as individuals or couples and over a few months take total control of the Conservative party at local level.This is the only way to get change in the UK - take over the Tory party.entryism:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entryism

What are your thoughts?

A typical example:
    http://www.bromleyconservatives.co.uk/get-involved
    What are your motives for this?
    Additionally the UK operate through a democratic system (representative) which allows the electorate to vote in their preferred candidates in their constituency, the tory party won a majority thus placing them in a position of authority, i am sure you are not so ignorant to have forgotten all the policy changes and implementations which occurred under labour governments? specifically under the blair tenure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    I reminds me of the silly idea that used to be spammed around suggesting people boycotted Esso for one day. The theory being that one days loss would make it stand up and listen. It never happened and made little difference. But Esso petrol is in decline but due to competition not high jinks.
    The labour party has often been taken over in part by all sorts of radical interest groups from communists to liberals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by connormc199)
    What are your motives for this?
    Additionally the UK operate through a democratic system (representative) which allows the electorate to vote in their preferred candidates in their constituency, the tory party won a majority thus placing them in a position of authority, i am sure you are not so ignorant to have forgotten all the policy changes and implementations which occurred under labour governments? specifically under the blair tenure?
    Part of the democratic process is who controls local parties.

There is no reason why conservatives need be right wing old people. It could be anyone who wants to take control of it.

ReputationRep:
    Part of the democratic process is who controls local parties.

There is no reason why conservatives need be right wing old people. It could be anyone who wants to take control of it.
    Genuinely don't understand what you're getting at, what are you hoping to achieve? anarchy?
    The majority of the electorate (of whom participated) voted for the conservative party, in a society where the majority of people are not classified as 'right wing old people'! furthermore the conservatives can choose who they want to target with regards to audience and your entire argument, well as much as i can gather is pretty ineffective and really doesnt possess any backing

ReputationRep:
    The labour party has often been taken over in part by all sorts of radical interest groups from communists to liberals
    Yes because those are natural bed follows :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely don't understand what you're getting at, what are you hoping to achieve? anarchy?
    The majority of the electorate (of whom participated) voted for the conservative party, in a society where the majority of people are not classified as 'right wing old people'! furthermore the conservatives can choose who they want to target with regards to audience and your entire argument, well as much as i can gather is pretty ineffective and really doesnt possess any backing
    Well, for example, Federalism is neither right wing or left wing, but it is anti-conservative (they appear to be dead against it).

If you want Conservative MPs to be federalist, the easiest way to achieve this within a democratic framework is become a local party activist.

Now multiply that by X amount and you will have a Conservative party that is in favour of Federalism.

"entryism" is part and parcel of the democratic process.

A political party is what you, the local people, want it to be.

If you want change the answer is now as its always been, be an activist.

All I am suggesting is be an activist in the party with the most clout.

For example we have this "BRIEXIT" BECAUSE of entryists into the conservative party
    have made it happen.

Thus we could also have federalism or anything by the same process
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I know a lot of people will dismiss the OP since the idea is a bit barmy but actually there is an underlying point here which is that since MP's and the likes are elected by local associations, if you want an MP who is closer to the center then younger members should take a more active role.

ReputationRep:
    >No change happens without reactionaries
    >No change without reactionaries
    >Change
    >Reactionaries

:')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I know a lot of people will dismiss the OP since the idea is a bit barmy but actually there is an underlying point here which is that since MP's and the likes are elected by local associations, if you want an MP who is closer to the center then younger members should take a more active role.
    Obviously it is not barmy as it has happened time and time again for all sorts of reasons for all sorts of parties.

My point is, the most direct route to getting change is the take out the biggest reactionary party from the inside.

This helps the Conservatives, it gives them more members and thus more money and a younger more dynamic membership, Fundamentally parties are about power not policy.

It helps the entire island as it lets us progress at a faster and more positive rate.

Join the Conservative party to make a better Britain.

You could, also as of old, have your own party within a party, call it a "wing" with its own rules and membership - this has also happened time and time again.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it is not barmy as it has happened time and time again for all sorts of reasons for all sorts of parties.

My point is, the most direct route to getting change is the take out the biggest reactionary party from the inside.

This helps the Conservatives, it gives them more members and thus more money and a younger more dynamic membership, Fundamentally parties are about power not policy.

It helps the entire island as it lets us progress at a faster and more positive rate.

Join the Conservative party to make a better Britain.

You could, also as of old, have your own party within a party, call it a "wing" with its own rules and membership - this has also happened time and time again.
    why is it that you like to discriminate and pick on the conservative party? did you feel the same when blair had a massive majority and was practically free to do whatever he wanted?

ReputationRep:
    why is it that you like to discriminate and pick on the conservative party? did you feel the same when blair had a massive majority and was practically free to do whatever he wanted?
    NEW LABOUR was, arguably, an entryist activity

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.