Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKL Investment & Finance Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey people, do you think you could do the same for me? My firm offer is going to be Cambridge, but for insurance I don't know whether to choose;

York- Econ and Finance (AAB)
    Manchester - Econ and Finance (ABB)
    Birmingham -Money, Banking and Finance (BBB)

What do you informed people think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noel)
    Hey people, do you think you could do the same for me? My firm offer is going to be Cambridge, but for insurance I don't know whether to choose;

For rep they are pretty close, maybe York edges it, then Manc followed closely by Brum.

Having said that they all fall under the very good but not quite oxbridge umbrella. B'ham is a slightly different course so you should look into the modules as it may contain some accounting type stuff which you may or may not want to do.

Visit them all though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)

1.Reading
    2.Loughborough
    3.City
    4.Birmingham
    I'd go along with that.
    Firm Reading
    Insurance L'boro

although if your desperate for a big city go to City.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahras)
    Reading-ISMA is primarily a traders school. I am not really sure about City but if those numbers are right and you want to go into IB then i think it would be a good choice. Its pretty much up to you.
    mahras, if I understand you correctly, ISMA is more into the trading stuff. isnt it? what if I'm not too keen with trading, but more into corporate finance stuff, which one is better amongst ISMA, Manchester, Durham, Aston (or the other schools mentioned earlier). what about ISMA's MSc programme (not their flagship BSc ISIB prog)

I've had another thread discussing this and the winner ontop my list is Manchester, but everybody in this thread seems to like ISMA better lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noel)

York.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pengangguran)
    mahras, if I understand you correctly, ISMA is more into the trading stuff. isnt it? what if I'm not too keen with trading, but more into corporate finance stuff, which one is better amongst ISMA, Manchester, Durham, Aston (or the other schools mentioned earlier). what about ISMA's MSc programme (not their flagship BSc ISIB prog)

I've had another thread discussing this and the winner ontop my list is Manchester, but everybody in this thread seems to like ISMA better lol
    I think that their MSc programme is regarded similarly to their BSc.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bullbearings.co.uk

Please sign up! We can form a TSR league. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bullbearings.co.uk

Please sign up! We can form a TSR league. :cool:
    Wicked! I've just signed up as 'jamierwilliams'

ReputationRep:
    I've created a TSR League. It's called 'TSR Super-League'.

So:
    1.Go to 'My league options'
    2.Under 'Join the League', go to 'T'
    3.Find 'TSR Super-League'

password: tsr

ReputationRep:
    I have also just created a TSR league called 'TSR' with the password 'thestudentroom'

ReputationRep:
    I've created a TSR League. It's called 'TSR League'.
    oops, we've both created one, let's use your one...

ReputationRep:
    I've created a TSR League. It's called 'TSR League'.
    what is the password?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    what is the password?
    check above post! I've changed the name as well :embarasse

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I would like to go into either the actuarial profession or investment banking.
    I am torn between MORSE at Warwick, and Actuarial Science at LSE. Which course do you feel is generally regarded as better in the financial world? And do LSE graduates have a big advantage over say Warwick students in getting a job in the financial sector?

ReputationRep:
    Is it best to start of in Investment Banking then go into Investment Managment, when you have more experience?? IM seems really interesting even though its very risky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mad fer united)
    Hi Guys,

I would like to go into either the actuarial profession or investment banking.
    I am torn between MORSE at Warwick, and Actuarial Science at LSE. Which course do you feel is generally regarded as better in the financial world? And do LSE graduates have a big advantage over say Warwick students in getting a job in the financial sector?
    Maths, Operational Research, Statistics, Economics, are all pretty Ib-friendly, and after your MORSE degree, I would think that you can branch off to many other areas of post grad studies. LSE's management science is similar to MORSE i think. Well 'management sciences' and 'operational research' are pretty much inter-changeable terms. I know that most people who do management sciences go to IBs.

BUT, I would go for LSE's acturial science because:

1.LSE's rep > Warwick's
    2. If you don't like acturial science, you can change to Business Mathematics and Statistics after your first year (refer to prospectus), as the 1st year modules are the same for both courses. This is good, as after your first year, you will have a good idea which road you want to take. If you are sure you want to be an Actury - you'll carry on doing Acturial Science. If you want to have a course more like MORSE at Warick, you can do Business mathematics and statistics. The courses is similar to MORSE in that you can choose to do Operational Research, Economics, Finance...etc. If you look at the prospectus (pg 78+79), BMS is a very flexible course, so please--> no bull about LSE's course not flexible etc..

ReputationRep:
    Ornela,

Many times people do ibanking first and then move over to investment management. IM like more experienced professionals but from a good school its not exceptionally hard to get into.

Heh share trading games are fun. Ill provide some recommendations here:

-WLDA: Follow it. Its currently my only equity holding. Average price bought is 5.33. Currently at 8.05. Bought 3 months back. Provides transportation of US troops to trouble zones (Iraq etc) and now has one of the only cargo services to China. Earnings coming out in two days so wait till then. I hold 1K shares of that in my real account. My personal target is double digits although I plan on selling some later today to diversify.

-Look at ETFs like IIF (Indian Investment Fund). Invests in emerging markets and is a solid fund. Very stable which will decrease the beta of your portfolio.

-Get some stocks in the death services industry. I plan on purchasing some shares of AWGI (Alderwoods) which is a death services company. As the baby boomer generation dies out in the US over the next few years it will provide the company will constant earnings.

-TKO (Telkonet) has created a system which sends high speed broadband through power outlets. Got deals to rewire Iraq :eek: . Also has a lot of deals with hotels and agencies. Good long term buy.

-FMT (Fremont Bank). One of the BEST fundamental stocks I have ever seen. The company's balance and cash flow is almost perfect with a low P/E ratio. Stable and a great income source.

-NEW its a REIT (Real estate investment trust). This company is very sound and gives out great dividends. The REIT industry however has been beaten up recently so I am waiting for an entry point.

All these picks are long term moves from months (WLDA) to several years (AWGI). I use my equities to provide me with growth of my savings so I am in no hurry. BTw all these are US equities. I do not invest in UK equities. Good luck with the game folks.

ReputationRep:
    The trading floor:

http://vault.com/nr/newsmain.jsp?nr_...le_id=15564593

Swearing, and yelling on the job......what more could I want!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahras)
    The trading floor:

http://vault.com/nr/newsmain.jsp?nr_...le_id=15564593

Swearing, and yelling on the job......what more could I want!

How hard is it to get a job in investment banking?? i have heard of the term "alpha males". Are they associated in any aspect of IB?

ReputationRep:
    ornela, if you think oxbridge or harvard is hard multiply that by 50 and you reach the difficulty of an ibanking job. In trading not only are you judged on grades etc but also your real life skill. Say you open a small fubd consistently bringing in 30% annualized return, then you have a higher chance than a perfect student whose only "passion" is to lock him/herself up and study all day. Its a different game and street smarts are almost necessary in trading.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2005
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.