This discussion is closed.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Nah, you don't need to study economics. If you want to be an economist however, you will definitely need an Economics degree. More quantitative degrees would be useful e.g. IBs like engineers as e.g. they are familiar with analytical models , and other degrees e.g. Finance would give you an advantage as well obviously. (Check out different IBs website, as they will show what they want for different divisions). One of the things they want is for you to show from previous history that you have a great interest in the field you're working in. Hence a business/economics/finance related degree would help in this way, but if you do e.g. a science degree, I would guess that internships and work experiences are vital.
mahras
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Jamie,

Its the opposite. MANY traders are engineers or science majors. Many are economics majors. Any thing quantitative is good for a S&T position. But remember trading takes practice, lots of patience, time and just something in the personality. S&T interviews often are MORE technical than IB interviews and they also give a lot of brainteasers.
Madinina
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
does no one have anything to say about my past post :rolleyes:
mahras
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have no idea matt. However try and search for gap year programs or just call them ask and ask whether it is possibly or not. Ibanks dont bite .
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Mahras, do you pay any taxes from your profits? Any ways of avoiding it?

response from FXCM

Regarding reporting taxes: due to the global nature of the foreign exchange market, FXCM is not required to 1099 any profits or losses to the IRS or to its clients. However, under Section 61 of the Internal Revenue Code, it is the client's obligation to report all profits to the IRS. Foreign residents should report taxes according to their own jurisdiction.

Please keep in mind that there are ambiguities in the tax code and that every tax situation is subjective. Therefore, FXCM strongly advises you to seek professional advice from a certified public accountant or tax advisor. You can run a 2004 year-end report directly from the platform for proof of your trading activity.
Spreadbetting apparently means that you don't have to pay any tax as it's classified under gambling. I think I am allowed £8,200 of capital gains in one year without paying Capital Gains Tax, but again I'm not sure. I think I'll ask my dad's accountant.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Equation: [ closing rate ] - [opening rate ] x [ unit / lot ] x [ lot ] x pip value

I bought at 105.18, sold at 105.19, 10 mini lots

(105.19 - 105.18) x 10,000 x 10 x 0.95 = 995 right?

How come ive got 9.95 profit instead

I know that JPY is a two-decimal-place currency, so why does the formula not work? What have I done wrong? :eek:
mahras
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
heh thats because you only had a profit of 1 pip. 10 mini lots means that 1 pip is 10 dollars. Plus cut those JPY fees and you get 9.3 profit.

Regarding taxes, yea i do pay taxes and its under my mom's name. In the US you list it under other compensation. I have no idea how it would work in the UK.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I know what i did wrong - silly thing. Any trading later on? or most probably tommorow? (everything is slowwwww atm)
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Without wanting to migrate traffic away from here, if you're interested in IB...

With a friend I've just set up www.IBtalk.com, a new forum/message board particularly targetted at people interested in a career in investment banking:

- Tips on gaining internships and graduate jobs, and priceless assessment day information
- All your finance and banking-related questions answered
- Careers and education advice from experienced professionals
- 100% free to use, unregistered for now, every question is answered within a day
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Cool site :cool:
Jump
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Sounds good, still not sure if IB is for me but will be a valuable resource anyway.
mahras
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Very nice. As a suggestion can you make a sales and trading sub forum in that site. That would be very nice.
mahras
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No trading until London open. Unless I see any news in Asia I am not going to trade. I actually have indicators that tell me when movements are going to occur. And at the moment the volume is low for any profitable scalping .
Madinina
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
a new forum :
http://www.ibtalk.com/forum/index.php
JBJB
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hello to everyone!

May I also join your society?
I am doing my Abitur and planninga career in banking.
mad fer united
Report 15 years ago
Guys, which degree is more suitable for a career in Investment banking out of these four? and which degree is regarded as more employable?

WARWICK - MORSE - MMORSE
LSE - BMS - ACTUARIAL SCIENCE
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
mmorse, unless you have the intention to change to BMS in the 2nd year. Actually both are superb, depends on your preference
mahras
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Post on the New TSR investment and finance society folks.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (58)
19.21%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (64)
21.19%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (58)
19.21%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (64)
21.19%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (29)
9.6%
I haven't started researching yet (29)
9.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed