Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    It depends on what you want to do. For stuff like law, consultancy and any pre-graduate jobs, it's pretty useful, for IB/finance it isn't at all really, just a bit of evidence that you're 'rounded'. No point saying "I have an interest in politics" though, you need to prove it, eg with an elected position. Even if it's not that useful when applying for jobs, it's a bit of fun (provided you don't take it too seriously and let it take over your life as it has done for people here), and a good way to pass the time.

What are your political interests? OUCA (Tory) and OULC (Labour) are pretty big here, as is the Union ("world's most famous debating society"), OUSU (notoriously left-wing) and college JCRs (fairly insignificant).
    Thanks again. Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but I was on holiday. I see what you mean about having evidence for an interest. I have had elected positions with my local party - though nothing major. I am leftish and am a Labour member. I would therefore like to join the OULC and the OUSU. I am also a member of the Fabian society and would like to increse my involement with that organisation.
    I will be looking into internships soon, perhaps if I get to Oxford I would be abel to do one over the summer. As my CV thus far has had a medical slant to it i would have to get things more appropriate to IBing - I was thinking about developing interests in markets etc. I would not be able to do this as well as an economist but through reading the press etc. I would hope to be able to enhance my existing knowledge to an appropriate level. Any other ideas?
    TIA

ReputationRep:
    There's plenty of stuff you can do for OULC/OUSU. Especially the latter where there seems to be more committees existing then the number of students who actually know what OUSU does. As for work experience, unless daddy has contacts, internships are usually supposed to be for penultimate year students only - i.e. at the end of their second year for most. Doing Medicine it's a different situation - how about combining the two interests of medicine & finance somehow to start the 'transition'? E.g. my friend's doing work exp. in the financial side at a hospital.

ReputationRep:
    To all you investment bank wannabes thinking it'll be easy to become a banker, here's an idea of what your competition's going to be like... these are extracts of brief profiles from the interns directory here:

"I have interned at the Central Bank of Lebanon, Beirut and freelanced for [two national magazines] during previous summers. I represent my University’s cricket team and am Director of Fund Management for the student run Global Investment Group."

"Before moving to finance, I used to race motorbikes, and opened a restaurant in 2001."

"I am currently the President of [two societies]...I am also competing at a national level, representing my University and won the UK Championship in two categories in 2003. Fluent in three languages..."

"Last summer I spent 12 weeks in the US running my own sales and marketing business, responsible for building my own client network in northern Indianapolis."

"I am fluent in English, Russian, Hebrew, French, Spanish and Georgian."

"I have captained [national cricket team], and was part of the [world cup team]. I have various work experience, ranging from opening a restaurant..."

"Much of my time is also spent running the internet business I founded 3 years ago, offering security bulletins and internet identity fraud reports to private individuals and businesses alike." (this is a 20yr old!)

"I took on a project for a prominent Japanese think-tank whilst working for [consultancy]. I have served as Editor-in-Chief of [student paper]"

etc etc. Sorry to burst the bubble, but it's not going to be an easy ride!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    There's plenty of stuff you can do for OULC/OUSU. Especially the latter where there seems to be more committees existing then the number of students who actually know what OUSU does. As for work experience, unless daddy has contacts, internships are usually supposed to be for penultimate year students only - i.e. at the end of their second year for most. Doing Medicine it's a different situation - how about combining the two interests of medicine & finance somehow to start the 'transition'? E.g. my friend's doing work exp. in the financial side at a hospital.
    Thanks for that.
    I don't seem to have any contacts in the financial world at the moment, but could perhaps make some through university. The idea of doing work in hospital finance would be a good start, so thanks very much. I expect it would be possible to get this before the final year and can go from there. I don't image for one second the process will be easy but I will start doing what I can ASAP - I am looking into placements at some major companies in the short term - though not financial insitutions, and if I were to get these I might have some openings from there.
    Thank you for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think it's wrong to think that because you've no relatives working in the City, you shouldn't even try. I've a grand total of zero relatives and family friends working there, yet have already had a month at an (admittedly small) IB, and am about to go work for a Big 4 accountancy firm at Canary Wharf (as well as a bit of other stuff) even though I've only just left school. I did not apply for either position; in fact, not only were both offered to me, but efforts were made to make sure I accepted the offer. It seems to me that when people hear of talented individuals with an interest in their field, they are keen to arrange things. So, if you are talented, make sure you are pro-active in ensuring people are aware of you achievements and it could well pay off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Personally, I think it's wrong to think that because you've no relatives working in the City, you shouldn't even try. I've a grand total of zero relatives and family friends working there, yet have already had a month at an (admittedly small) IB, and am about to go work for a Big 4 accountancy firm at Canary Wharf (as well as a bit of other stuff) even though I've only just left school. I did not apply for either position; in fact, not only were both offered to me, but efforts were made to make sure I accepted the offer. It seems to me that when people hear of talented individuals with an interest in their field, they are keen to arrange things. So, if you are talented, make sure you are pro-active in ensuring people are aware of you achievements and it could well pay off.
    I find the big accountancy firms are less "stuffy" than many city institutions and are very willing to take people on merit only.

ReputationRep:
    Of my 6 internships within an Investment Bank, I have only applied properly for 1, and done a token application for the another 2.

If you're a good student, with a genuine interest in financial markets (or can pretend to have an interest, anyway ) the opportunities are out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Of my 6 internships within an Investment Bank, I have only applied properly for 1, and done a token application for the another 2.

If you're a good student, with a genuine interest in financial markets (or can pretend to have an interest, anyway ) the opportunities are out there.

So how did you get to intern at places you didnt apply properly to?
    Where are these opportunities?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MentallyIll)
    So how did you get to intern at places you didnt apply properly to?
    Where are these opportunities?????
    You've just got to phone around, banks are always on the lookout for cheap, easy labour, and in reality that's what interns are, so if you seem interest and competent, they might be able to help.

Also bankers talk. I you have a good internships with an IB your name might get around, opening up a few doors.

ReputationRep:
    How have you managed 6 internships having just graduated? Do you mean official internships, or temping / work experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    How have you managed 6 internships having just graduated? Do you mean official internships, or temping / work experience?
    I was using internships in the loosest possible sense, basically times I've worked with an IB for a decent amount of time.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, there's a guy here who's done temping for Goldman Sachs, Dresdner, Deutsche, Credit Suisse etc etc since 16. He said in the late 90s there was such a boom that he could just phone up banks and ask for work and they'd give it to anyone sufficiently qualified. It means now an outstanding CV - the organisation name carries a lot more worth than whether the work was a 3 month front office internship or back office temping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Yeah, there's a guy here who's done temping for Goldman Sachs, Dresdner, Deutsche, Credit Suisse etc etc since 16. He said in the late 90s there was such a boom that he could just phone up banks and ask for work and they'd give it to anyone sufficiently qualified. It means now an outstanding CV - the organisation name carries a lot more worth than whether the work was a 3 month front office internship or back office temping.
    Certainly in boom periods you have to do very little chasing, but even when things are quite tight, students are still popular because they're cheap and don't require agency fess. And like I said, once you're in the door it's even easier; for instance I've had quite a few offers of one week temping whilst someone was on holiday, with a bit extra thrown in. Unfortunately due to the cost of living in London, I'm very unwilling to do anything that is shorter than 2 weeks, so I turned them down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    You've just got to phone around, banks are always on the lookout for cheap, easy labour, and in reality that's what interns are, so if you seem interest and competent, they might be able to help.

Also bankers talk. I you have a good internships with an IB your name might get around, opening up a few doors.

Phone around? Surely they'll say 'send your CV with cover to Human Capital"?????

ReputationRep:
    Phone around? Surely they'll say 'send your CV with cover to Human Capital"?????
    In some case yes in other cases no. It depends partly how desperate they are and how lucky you are. Normally you would have to send off a CV, but certainly by getting on the phone and looking around you can get a big head start.

Also, get your CV on the internet. That way if they say a space is available you can just give them the URL, makes things a lot quicker.

ReputationRep:
    Human Capital is a tax thing, send a cv to Human Resources

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Unfortunately doing so makes people think you're an arrogant ****
    Exactly, that way at an IB you'll fit in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    Human Capital is a tax thing, send a cv to Human Resources

Well at GS they call their personnel dept. Human Capital Management. OK.

ReputationRep:
    Well at GS they call their personnel dept. Human Capital Management. OK.
    Then I imagine they have a seperate Recruitment section - Human Capital is what most professional services/IBs firms call tax consultants who advise others on how to make best use of their employees and to gain the best possible tax opportunites

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Unfortunately doing so makes people think you're an arrogant ****

Additionally, it makes it easier for people to find out your life story if they google you.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2005
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.