Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKL Investment & Finance Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ill join. Currently 10th grader in the US. Plan on being a hedge fund manager in the future. Traded equities for 3 years, started foreign exchange trading, and am in the process of starting a hedge fund specializing in both FX trading and equities.

ReputationRep:
    Ever tried CFD trading?

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea which part of IB I am interested in or plan to do mainly because I try not to plan my life!! Will wait after uni to decide but any suggestions as to which part is best to do are welcomed.

ReputationRep:
    No I haven't traded CFDs although I demoed for a few weeks. It is okay if you like trading Index CFDs and stock CFDs. I like broad trends where technical analysis can be used so forex is the way to go. Johnny, are you a CFD trader?

ReputationRep:
    Ornela,

Well in IB you have the M&A guys and industry groups. Different industries have different Ibanking team like industrials, transportations, tech etc. Then there are High Yeild Financing and other varied deal groups. Wanted to be a ibanker but its a boring job to me although others may like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahras)
    Ornela,

Well in IB you have the M&A guys and industry groups. Different industries have different Ibanking team like industrials, transportations, tech etc. Then there are High Yeild Financing and other varied deal groups. Wanted to be a ibanker but its a boring job to me although others may like it.
    Do you enjoy what you are doing now? What are the hours like?

ReputationRep:
    I am a part time trader and will soon start my own fund specializing in equities and trading. Trading is something you need to have a passion for. You can't be a successful trader through books. Practice and instincts are what the world's best traders/speculators have. About the hours for full time traders:

Ibanks S&T/hedge funds: Usually market hours. Depends on what desk you are in (New York, London, Asia). Usually 10 hours a day. Pay has almost no limit. The superstar 26 year old traders make seven figure compensation packages. Out of college you can make around say 55K base salary+10K sign in bonus+10-50K performance bonus. These are all in US dollars. Your performance bonus depends on your profitability, and your desks profitability.

Prop Trading/full time trading: You make your own hours. My mentor trades for around 4 hours a day and makes around 500-2K a day. This is after you subtract the 50% of the profits you need to give the prop trading firm. Pay has no limit. If you can make 4 million USD in a year and your firm charges 50% of the profits you make 2 million. Very RISKY unless you are a great trader. Many ibanks have prop trading desks which are highly respected. Many prop trading firms are useless. Only a handful are worth it. If you are good then this is a excellent place to trade.

Best UK schools for trading: LSE, Oxbridge, ISMA Centre-University of Reading. Personal picks: LSE and ISMA.

ReputationRep:
    unfortunately im not a CFD trader. I have had some experience a few months ago under my dads account was pretty interesting. Had a passion for the stock market for a while now. Been following it since 2000. When i first demoed CFDs i made £10,000 unfortunately for me it wasn't for real not a fluke though. If i had enough spare capital i would risk it but i need to save for uni!!

ReputationRep:
    No worries. Maybe take some cash out and start investing and then when you build up enough start trading?

ReputationRep:
    Could someone just explain to me the difference between Credit Derivatives and Equity Derivatives...

ReputationRep:
    Thats what i plan to do

ReputationRep:
    I have found some excellent resources for anyone interested in IB:

http://www.careers-in-finance.com/ib.htm
    http://www.efinancialcareers.com

ReputationRep:
    And here's a pointless plan of my life (at the moment):

PwC Gap Year Scheme
    BA in Economics (Trinity, Cambridge)
    MSc in Management (LSE)
    IB Analyst (Goldman Sachs)
    MBA (Harvard)
    IB Associate (Goldman Sachs)

I don't have very high aspirations do I

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    And here's a pointless plan of my life (at the moment):

PwC Gap Year Scheme
    BA in Economics (Trinity, Cambridge)
    MSc in Management (LSE)
    IB Analyst (Goldman Sachs)
    MBA (Harvard)
    IB Associate (Goldman Sachs)

I don't have very high aspirations do I
    What grades at GCSE did you get?

ReputationRep:
    Lol, omg this is going to sound so funny...

I am predicted 10A*s (alreay have one A*) i.e. I haven't taken them yet. That plan will probably change in few weeks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    Lol, omg this is going to sound so funny...

I am predicted 10A*s (alreay have one A*) i.e. I haven't taken them yet. That plan will probably change in few weeks
    I don't think you should start planning so early!

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind boring or risky jobs as long as they do not involve with me dealing with people directly. One of the reasons I did not wish to study Law, hence be solicitor. Is it best to do an Msci in Economics or an MBA???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You)
    I don't think you should start planning so early!
    my plan really is just to get 10A*s and then get good AS scores etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ornela)
    I don't mind boring or risky jobs as long as they do not involve with me dealing with people directly. One of the reasons I did not wish to study Law, hence be solicitor. Is it best to do an Msci in Economics or an MBA???
    I would have thought that you can't go wrong with an MBA, but I can't really talk from experience

ReputationRep:
    What sort of risks are involved in IB?? Is it a good thing to have a very impersonal view of things?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2005
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.