The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths calculator exam- what conversions do we need to know?

Hey I'm doing the edexcel higher paper this thursday (9/06/16) and I was wondering what conversions we need to know. I know the obvious ones such a mm to cm etc., but I did a paper the other day and it expected us to know miles to kilometres, as it wasn't on the formula sheet.
Are there any others we need to know?

Original post by nut3lla8
Hey I'm doing the edexcel higher paper this thursday (9/06/16) and I was wondering what conversions we need to know. I know the obvious ones such a mm to cm etc., but I did a paper the other day and it expected us to know miles to kilometres, as it wasn't on the formula sheet.
Are there any others we need to know?

to be honest conversions are taught in year 5 so they should be very well know to GCSE candidates, therefore these aren't on the first page with formulas.
Reply 2
Original post by Gabika1979
to be honest conversions are taught in year 5 so they should be very well know to GCSE candidates, therefore these aren't on the first page with formulas.

Okay thank you, I know why they aren't on the formula sheet but I was wondering about between metrical and imperial like metres and yards and feet etc. which although I am an a* maths student I am not aware of from the top of my head as they have not been mentioned in my class at school. So I am just wondering if you possibly know of the ones that may come up so I can remember them now.
Okay thank you, I know why they aren't on the formula sheet but I was wondering about between metrical and imperial like metres and yards and feet etc. which although I am an a* maths student I am not aware of from the top of my head as they have not been mentioned in my class at school. So I am just wondering if you possibly know of the ones that may come up so I can remember them now.

I'm pretty sure it's just miles & km
which is 1 mile = 1.6km

Perhpas £ to Euro or gallons to litres would be helpful.
Reply 5
Original post by FutureDietitian
I'm pretty sure it's just miles & km
which is 1 mile = 1.6km

Okay great thanks
Reply 6
Original post by Gabika1979
Perhpas £ to Euro or gallons to litres would be helpful.

Okay thank you
I swear there are way more? Like litres to gallons and all sorts, not that they really ever come up but possibly they could try something like that on the last question? Who knows :P
It should be on your specification.
For AQA we have to know gallons to litres, miles to kilometres, pounds to kg and cm to inches. I'm guessing yours would be similar :smile:
Also, remember some of actual formulas that are not on the first page, e.g. area of pyramid (e.g. 3D pytahgoras), density = m/v, speed = d/t and remember LSF, ASF, VSF when working out a side, area or volume of a shape.

Also when working out things like miles per hour, make sure that in your calculation you use the HOUR and not minutes or seconds. So 15 minutes would be 0.25 hours.

Also, knowing some key things like that there are 3600 seconds in an hour (crap example... but oh well) - or maybe formula for angle using Cosine rule (saves time as you don't have to rearrange it in the exam) can save you some time, at least a few seconds, as you don't have to work it out, just write it down.

What mark are you aiming for?

I messed up paper 1 and I'm aiming for 100 marks on this one to get A* (lol).
(edited 7 years ago)
People above are saying litres to gallons and all sorts, but usually in those types of conversion questions they give you conversion rate. I just know the simple ones and that 1 mile = 1.6km :smile:
8km = 5 miles and all the mm cm etc.
I think that's all.

Quick Reply

Latest