Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi! so i'm a latin student who is very interested in studying greek, but didn't pick it up when it was offered for gcse : ((((. so i'm planning to learn it myself over the summer just to get a better knowledge of it so that i can apply for an intensive greek course in uni. i'm going to get john taylor's greek to gcse to start with- but does anyone have any advice or do's+don'ts ? thank you so much!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homerics)
    hi! so i'm a latin student who is very interested in studying greek, but didn't pick it up when it was offered for gcse : ((((. so i'm planning to learn it myself over the summer just to get a better knowledge of it so that i can apply for an intensive greek course in uni. i'm going to get john taylor's greek to gcse to start with- but does anyone have any advice or do's+don'ts ? thank you so much!!!
    Don't learn too much at once, only what you can cope with. Learn at your own pace. Prioritise your GCSEs first though, because you need to pass those to get into university. MOOCs are a very good way to learn languages through self study. Also take a look at iTunes U as there are some self learning courses on there too for Ancient Greek and other languages.

Other websites I would recommend are EDX, Coursera and Futurelearn.

I haven't seen any courses available for the language at the moment, although I have seen this in the past, so it might become available again later on in the year. In the meantime, I saw this that I thought you might be interested in.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/ancient-greeks/#

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homerics)
    I studied Greek to GCSE, and absolutely loved it, so first piece of advice is; definitely persevere!:) Whether or not you pass any exams, it will be loads of fun.

Secondly, the place I fell down slightly in was by not memorising conjugations, declensions and grammatical rules. I intend to follow on to A level, and to be really diligent in memorisation this time around is my ambition!

Also, read original Greek works, plays, philosophical works, the Old Testament in Greek (which is actually quite easy), just anything to give a more vivid, 'real' feel to studying, for me this was when the language really started to come alive. If it's difficult, just use an English crib, you're still learning.

Anyway, I take my hat off to you going for this by yourself, definitely possible, particularly with the determination you obviously have...good luck!:)

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I have been studying greek for 6 years now and it is definitely a love/hate relationship!! It is a really hard language, but incredibly beautiful nevertheless. I just want to tell you that I really admire your courage to try and learn it alone, it is so challanging!! My advice is to learn very well grammar, verbs and declensions particular, they will save your life! In any case, I just passed my advanced greek and gonna do set book in september, so if you need any tutoring (even only occasionally) don't hesitate to contact me! I'll be more than happy to help you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.