The Student Room Group

DWP takes benefits off Disabled Worker.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/disabled-woman-has-benefits-removed-by-dwp-after-trying-to-find-work-a7063126.html

A disabled worker was entitled to ESA disability benefits and was doing what is known as "permitted work" which is less than 16 hours and no more than £115 a week in wages.

The DWP decided to stop her benefit due to a account error made by her employer.

She was paid double the amount in January because she received no wages in December.

This is how nasty the Conservative DWP is. They will abolish disabled peoples benefits for any reason they can get away with.

Tories come and defend your actions.

=============================================
updated info. came from a guardian article that did the personal interview.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/02/paraplegic-work-esa-benefits
=====================================================
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Welcome to Tory Britain. Apologists will be along shortly to say this was just a mistake by a member of staff
This is pretty heartbreaking, how anyone can sleep at night knowing they're enabling this is beyond me. What baffles me is that they continue to be so sly about it despite the fact that these stories keep coming out, it's not even a dirty little secret anymore?!
Hmm... How disabled I wonder? She was clearly able to do some work, so quite why she was receiving full DLA is somewhat puzzling. I'm always sceptical when I read articles like this with regards to what actually happened. As much as I don't trust what I read in the Daily Mail, I don't trust The Independent either
Original post by Cadherin
Hmm... How disabled I wonder? She was clearly able to do some work, so quite why she was receiving full DLA is somewhat puzzling. I'm always sceptical when I read articles like this with regards to what actually happened. As much as I don't trust what I read in the Daily Mail, I don't trust The Independent either

She was on ESA not DLA
So what this actually looks like if you read the story is administrative errors on both her part and her employer's part causing problems in the bureaucracy.

Quite how you imagine the Tory Party is involved in this I cannot guess.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
She was on ESA not DLA

Sorry, my mistake, I misread it. It is means-tested so she obviously needed it.

Sorry, my mistake, I misread it. It is means-tested so she obviously needed it.

"A paraplegic woman has been penalised by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) after resigning from a part-time job she sought herself but was unable to continue due to ill health."

Paraplegic = paralysis of both lower limbs due to spinal disease or injury.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/paraplegic
Original post by TimmonaPortella
So what this actually looks like if you read the story is administrative errors on both her part and her employer's part causing problems in the bureaucracy.

The Conservative party manage to the DWP. Quit trying to wash your hands and walk away.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
"A paraplegic woman has been penalised by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) after resigning from a part-time job she sought herself but was unable to continue due to ill health."

Paraplegic = paralysis of both lower limbs due to spinal disease or injury.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/paraplegic

I am aware of the definition of the word 'paraplegic' - whether or not the rag uses the word as a hyperbole, we'll never know.
This article is from the Liverpool ECHO.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/savage-cuts-leave-100-elderly-11430830

100 people waiting for social care ....... due to Tory cuts.
The Conservative party manage to the DWP. Quit trying to wash your hands and walk away.

Now I as a mere voter am implicated in this specific administrative issue?

Your ability to stretch this out truly knows no bounds.

This is a typically ridiculous attack from a ridiculous poster.

The DWP decided to stop her benefit due to a account error made by her employer.

First of all, the DWP does not employ professional mind-readers. Therefore it could only know there was a problem once someone has told them.

It doesn't look like the employer made a mistake in what it reported. It paid the money in January and told the DWP that it paid the money in January.

There are fiendishly complicated attribution rules for benefits which determine precisely which weeks income is credited to. It is impossible to tell from the limited information whether the DWP got it right but it is not obvious that it got it wrong.

Lets say Christmas pay should have been paid on 24th December. That is normally attributed for benefit purposes to the next 4 or 5 weeks after it is received, not for December when it has been earned. There is a real possibility that the claimant thinks the problem is the delayed payment of Christmas earnings to the end of January, but the actual problem is the normal operation of the benefits system.

A simple administrative error should not lead to anybody being left without money for food or bills, let alone vulnerable persons
Original post by Betelgeuse-
A simple administrative error should not lead to anybody being left without money for food or bills, let alone vulnerable persons

Oh well if there shouldn't be administrative errors then clearly the Tories are evil.
Oh well if there shouldn't be administrative errors then clearly the Tories are evil.

That is one helluva ambitious strawman
I am aware of the definition of the word 'paraplegic' - whether or not the rag uses the word as a hyperbole, we'll never know.

You can't really use 'paraplegic' as hyperbole. Either your legs work or they don't.

I don't understand how you're trying to justify this. In what world is it acceptable to punish someone by taking away their sole means of surviving because they accidentally were unable to submit one payslip? At best it's incompetence - there should be safeguards in place to prevent things like this - but at worst it's just barbaric and cruel.
Original post by JordanL_

I don't understand how you're trying to justify this. In what world is it acceptable to punish someone by taking away their sole means of surviving because they accidentally were unable to submit one payslip? At best it's incompetence - there should be safeguards in place to prevent things like this - but at worst it's just barbaric and cruel.

I'm not trying to justify anything. What I am saying is that nothing has been presented to link this to any government policy, let alone the Tory party in general, let alone any malicious intent on the part of anyone at all. If you'd like to make an argument about the way the benefits system is set up then I'd be open to hearing it, but I'm not seeing that. What I'm seeing is totally absurd comments like this:

This is how nasty the Conservative DWP is. They will abolish disabled peoples benefits for any reason they can get away with.

Tories come and defend your actions.

It may well be that, even where the DWP has reason to believe that a claimant is no longer eligible to receive her payments, and even where the claimant has failed to provide the relevant paperwork to show that she is still eligible, that there should be some inbuilt protection against the immediate withdrawal of the benefits. I think that would be a reasonable position to argue. What is not reasonable is to come out and say 'look at how the evil Tories are bullying poor people!'. That is an infantile and nonsensical response.
I'm not trying to justify anything. What I am saying is that nothing has been presented to link this to any government policy, let alone the Tory party in general, let alone any malicious intent on the part of anyone at all. If you'd like to make an argument about the way the benefits system is set up then I'd be open to hearing it, but I'm not seeing that. What I'm seeing is totally absurd comments like this:

It may well be that, even where the DWP has reason to believe that a claimant is no longer eligible to receive her payments, and even where the claimant has failed to provide the relevant paperwork to show that she is still eligible, that there should be some inbuilt protection against the immediate withdrawal of the benefits. I think that would be a reasonable position to argue. What is not reasonable is to come out and say 'look at how the evil Tories are bullying poor people!'. That is an infantile and nonsensical response.

That's fair, and I agree with you (first time ever? :biggrin: ) At least when we only have that article to go off, there's not anything to suggest it's the Tories actively seeking to take benefits away from people.

Although I don't think it's unreasonable to blame the Tories for this. They've brought in welfare reforms, and a failure to safeguard against something like this - where the welfare, lives and livelihoods of the most vulnerable people in the country are at stake - is possibly indicative of their attitude toward protecting these people.
Original post by JordanL_
That's fair, and I agree with you (first time ever? :biggrin: ) At least when we only have that article to go off, there's not anything to suggest it's the Tories actively seeking to take benefits away from people.

Although I don't think it's unreasonable to blame the Tories for this. They've brought in welfare reforms, and a failure to safeguard against something like this - where the welfare, lives and livelihoods of the most vulnerable people in the country are at stake - is possibly indicative of their attitude toward protecting these people.

It seems the independent article is a copy from the original guardian article.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/02/paraplegic-work-esa-benefits

It seems she did have permission for permitted work and the pay slip was eventually sent to the dwp but guess what ........ the dwp opens up a fraud investigation with no time limit so they can keep it open for infinity and beyond.

means they don't have to pay her jack!

the dwp under conservative control will cause a huge amount of pain to genuine disabled people just to save a few quid.

the thing is the dwp will eventually have to pay this women because they dont have any reasonable evidence of her breaking the rules.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest