Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Starting placement job soon, worried about personal info being put online. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'll start by saying that I'm very cautious about putting any information about myself online. I don't use social media, I've never publicly posted my name and I'm nowhere to be found on search engines.

Back in October, I applied for and succeeded in obtaining a placement with a local company. Since then the company has grown their social media presence.

Blog posts are created for each new member (about 5 new starts since October) in the style of an interview transcript. My biggest concern is that some of the questions are of a personal nature; the employee's full name and photo are also included which I'm very worried about. The blog post is then linked to on the company's Twitter and Facebook profile.

The company also created a new employees page on their website since I was offered the job. All employees are listed on this page with their picture and first name.

I've been able to deal with similar issues in the past, however considering how deeply the company has pushed the online presence of employees, I feel that I would cause a major upset by bringing this up.

I've also looked over my employment contract and it doesn't mention that I have to allow my name/face/personal profile to be publicly posted online.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by CurrentYear)
    I'll start by saying that I'm very cautious about putting any information about myself online. I don't use social media, I've never publicly posted my name and I'm nowhere to be found on search engines.

Back in October, I applied for and succeeded in obtaining a placement with a local company. Since then the company has grown their social media presence.

Blog posts are created for each new member (about 5 new starts since October) in the style of an interview transcript. My biggest concern is that some of the questions are of a personal nature; the employee's full name and photo are also included which I'm very worried about. The blog post is then linked to on the company's Twitter and Facebook profile.

The company also created a new employees page on their website since I was offered the job. All employees are listed on this page with their picture and first name.

I've been able to deal with similar issues in the past, however considering how deeply the company has pushed the online presence of employees, I feel that I would cause a major upset by bringing this up.

I've also looked over my employment contract and it doesn't mention that I have to allow my name/face/personal profile to be publicly posted online.
    In the first instance, I'd really suggest speaking to your manager about this and what can be done, or if they can't help, then probably HR...

ReputationRep:
    You can talk to HR, there will be people for whom this is a really serious problem (e.g. someone escaping abuse) so there will be a way around however you should think about whether it is worth making a bad impression (you certainly shouldn't pretend you have serious reasons) to avoid being online

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies. I've been discussing this issue on another site and the conclusion we sort of arrived at is that the company has no right posting the information that they are; it would only make sense if I was an internet personality or blogger. An acceptable concession would be to only allow my first name and picture on the employees page (I could agree to that).

To further expand on the problem area, the types of questions other new starts were asked include: "what would you do if", "who's your favourite so and so", "what ability you wish you had", "tell us about you and your family", and as mentioned, that's published as a blog post with the employee's full name and image then posted on Twitter and Facebook.

(Original post by doodle_333)
    You can talk to HR, there will be people for whom this is a really serious problem (e.g. someone escaping abuse) so there will be a way around however you should think about whether it is worth making a bad impression (you certainly shouldn't pretend you have serious reasons) to avoid being online
    It's a small company, so no HR department. It'll either be my line manager or whoever is in charge of social media I'll have to talk to. I've a few concerns and grievances with putting information about myself online (harassment being one of them). If it aids the discussion, I'll explain them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurrentYear)
    Thanks for your replies. I've been discussing this issue on another site and the conclusion we sort of arrived at is that the company has no right posting the information that they are; it would only make sense if I was an internet personality or blogger. An acceptable concession would be to only allow my first name and picture on the employees page (I could agree to that).

To further expand on the problem area, the types of questions other new starts were asked include: "what would you do if", "who's your favourite so and so", "what ability you wish you had", "tell us about you and your family", and as mentioned, that's published as a blog post with the employee's full name and image then posted on Twitter and Facebook.

It's a small company, so no HR department. It'll either be my line manager or whoever is in charge of social media I'll have to talk to. I've a few concerns and grievances with putting information about myself online (harassment being one of them). If it aids the discussion, I'll explain them.
    I think as long as the company is reasonable and you've been accommodating elsewhere you should be okay, you sound like you're willing to compromise as well which will help you (e.g. if you say no questions about family or using my surname). You don't know, it may be other people have taken issue in the past - it's just you only see the blogs that got made.

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick update. I started the Job this Monday and my concerns turned out to be a complete non-issue. Everything I worried about was optional.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.