Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've had about 6 years of history with mental illness and I fluctuate between being REALLY really super duper over the moon happy and 'oh god I want to ****ing die I am worthless and hopeless' depressed. I want to try antidepressants. The only thing that worries me is if I'll actually be allowed to be put on a cycle of medication.

The problem is though I've OD'd 3 times on paracetamol before, once 3 yrs ago and twice 2 yrs ago. Will this affect me possibly being put on antidepressants? Honestly I am so triggered by pills and whatnot but if it helps my mood I will do anything.

Should probably mention the fact I'm also autistic and have really bad anxiety symptoms so maybe this will increase a chance of being put on a med cycle? (most likely Prozac? no idea lol) But if anyone could help me that would be great.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've had about 6 years of history with mental illness and I fluctuate between being REALLY really super duper over the moon happy and 'oh god I want to ****ing die I am worthless and hopeless' depressed. I want to try antidepressants. The only thing that worries me is if I'll actually be allowed to be put on a cycle of medication.

Spoiler:
    Show
    The problem is though I've OD'd 3 times on paracetamol before, once 3 yrs ago and twice 2 yrs ago. Will this affect me possibly being put on antidepressants? Honestly I am so triggered by pills and whatnot but if it helps my mood I will do anything.

Should probably mention the fact I'm also autistic and have really bad anxiety symptoms so maybe this will increase a chance of being put on a med cycle? (most likely Prozac? no idea lol) But if anyone could help me that would be great.
    I would say that you can be put on ADs, but you probably would be made to pick up your medication weekly or even daily due to your past history. When I was on ADs back home in N.Ireland, I had to pick up my prescription weekly because I was 18 and in a bad way.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)

You should be able to go on ADs but it would be wise to ether get you to pick them up more often (so you have less that you could OD on) or to put somebody else in control of your does who gives you one dose at a time.
    I suggest you mention this when you talk to a doctor and work something out. It is certinally possible to take medication that way as it's what is done for addiction recovery medications and things like that.
    If you find pills triggering (rather than meds in general) there may also be a possibility of you getting given it in liquid form which may also be worth asking (i'm not sure if that would be a viable option though).

Good luck with everything.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.