Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We had been talking for a couple of months and gotten quite close. Things seemed a bit up and down. We decided we were ready to Skype and then meet up once school finished.

Then suddenly we both tell each other we think we should stop talking for a while. Me, because I have feelings for her and it's a bit painful not having them reciprocated. Her because she felt a break would be good for us both, she felt we didn't have much to talk about anymore, that sort of stuff. I was thinking a few days... she was thinking a few weeks. She no longer wants to meet up, because we'd have not talked for weeks before then.

I've asked her multiple times to be honest, and just tell me if she doesn't want to be friends or whatever. I've tried to talk to her about a week into not talking, and after a very brief conversation she wants to keep not talking for at least another week, and decide then whether we keep going or not.

I don't understand. I'm confused. She says she misses me, and insists she wants to be friends - she isn't just saying it in a polite way, she's adamant about it every time I ask. But everything she's doing and saying otherwise indicates the opposite. I feel completely unwanted, I feel like ****, and I'm ready to just stop talking completely but she insists she doesn't want that.

I don't really get what's going on or what I'm meant to do. I don't think I can cope with being "best friends" right now when we're going to go months at a time without talking, or being part of a friendship where she seems utterly uninterested in me.

Just wanted to get that out there and maybe get some advice. Haven't been too specific in case she sees this, but if anyone wouldn't mind letting me PM them to explain in more depth I'd appreciate that.

ReputationRep:
    If it's angsty before anything has even begun it not worth it. Sounds like she's not up for it. Refocus the wasted energy in to finding Plan B.

(Original post by Zarek)
    If it's angsty before anything has even begun it not worth it. Sounds like she's not up for it. Refocus the wasted energy in to finding Plan B.
    Oh yeah, I already gave up wanting a relationship. I just don't know if it's worth trying to still be friends or not. I can't work out what she wants.

ReputationRep:
    Same situation for me, but we met in school, and its the other way around (hes stopped talking to me but insists he wants to talk ettcc), and its pretty much gone round in circles for a year and its still ongoing. How old are you both? Have you been friends for long? I'd be happy to help from experiece, PM me details if you want

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Oh yeah, I already gave up wanting a relationship. I just don't know if it's worth trying to still be friends or not. I can't work out what she wants.

(Original post by Aykem)
    Same situation for me, but the other way around (hes stopped talking to me but insists he wants to talk ettcc), and its pretty much gone round in circles for a year and its still ongoing. How old are you both? Have you been friends for long? I'd be happy to help from experiece, PM me details if you want
    Thanks, it's good to know someone can relate! I'll PM you now

ReputationRep:
    I'd cut your losses and move on. You're probably being kept there as some sort of emotional support backup.

Also I'd always recommend with online things to meet relatively quickly (once you feel it would be safe) before you both start building up a false ideal partner in your heads that neither of you will be able to live up to.

Incidentally just because she wants to stay friends doesn't mean that you have to. I'm of the opinion that ex's staying friends typically doesn't work (although there are exceptions). Given you've no shared social group and didn't even date it's perfectly reasonable for you to move on.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.