Getting a degree in computer science at the age of 25 with no experience?

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hello i've always had an interest in computers, but a few days ago i started learning c++ and its pretty cool and bottom line is i need a degree. I am turning 26 in december and have not went to college. First, am i too old? Mind you i have no experience with computers. I also have a few misdeameanors for DUI and simple assualt. Will this hurt my chances at landing a good job? I will be 30 years old when i graduate. Should i even bother? thank you my ex wife said i am sitting still in life and honestly i agree. I need to do something with my life and stay out of trouble..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by russianvor90)
    Hello i've always had an interest in computers, but a few days ago i started learning c++ and its pretty cool and bottom line is i need a degree. I am turning 26 in december and have not went to college. First, am i too old? Mind you i have no experience with computers. I also have a few misdeameanors for DUI and simple assualt. Will this hurt my chances at landing a good job? I will be 30 years old when i graduate. Should i even bother? thank you my ex wife said i am sitting still in life and honestly i agree. I need to do something with my life and stay out of trouble..
    Yes quite easily tbh. Why because you are a mature student. Unis will be lenient. Look into it. You won't be able to go maybe top foundation yr courses like bham uni or Manchester but you will be able to go to some respectable ones.

Make sure you type FOUNDATION YEAR NOT FOUNDATION COURSE though you can also look into it.

ReputationRep:
    "simple assault"

judge: so how did you beat the man
    criminal: a complex myriad of chain reactions that was trigger upon lighting the seventeenth candle, causing the man to get a boot up the arse
    judge: my god that's complex assault, 10 YEARS

judge: so how did you beat the man
    criminal: i hit him till he bled
    judge: oh well, simple assault ain't that bad, a coupla days for you for bein' a simple lad an that

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not too old.

The intern my team has is about 30 years old - he's completed two years at uni. and will start his final year in September. He's destined to have a damn good career as a computer scientist/software engineer, and due to his maturity and experience of life, when he graduates his career will progress much more quickly than a 22-year old graduate. By time he's in his mid 30s he'll easily have have caught up with folks who graduated 8 years before him.

BTW minor convictions for assault & DUI won't make any difference - by time you've graduated they will be years in the past.

Go for it!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.