The Student Room Group

Lost feeling in one fingertip

It's not particularly bothering me, I'm just a little worried that this could be a sign of something more serious.

A few days ago I noticed that the feeling in one fingertip (left ring finger) is gone. Not the whole finger tip, just the middle of the flat bit on the opposite side to the fingernail. It feels kind of like when you smack your finger on a table really hard or something and it goes numb, or when your fingers are really cold and it goes numb (but it's not cold).

I assumed it'd go away in a couple of hours but it's persisted for a few days now. Like I said, I'm not bothered about it, I just don't know if I should be concerned or not.
Reply 2
Original post by green.tea

Oh **** me. I kind of wish I hadn't asked. I guess I should see my GP?

Do you know if necrotizing vasculitis would show in a normal blood test? I had a blood test a month or two ago and everything was fine, but maybe this wouldn't show up in just a standard test?
Original post by Anonymous

Do you know if necrotizing vasculitis would show in a normal blood test? I had a blood test a month or two ago and everything was fine, but maybe this wouldn't show up in just a standard test?

You should read the link I posted. It could also be rabies.

"See your doctor if finger numbness doesn’t go away and is accompanied by other symptoms like weakness and pain."

http://www.healthline.com/health/finger-numbness#OtherDiagnoses4

So, unless you have other symptoms, probably nothing.
lol nice way to scare the S**t out of the original poster green.tea :biggrin: Top marks there.

@OP

I wouldnt go that far to assume you have necrosis, you need to have something very serious for necrosis to happen so dont worry as of yet.
If you are wearing a ring, I would suggest you remove it for a day at the least and massage that finger (Start pressing at the base of the finger where it touches your palm and move towards the tip), keep it in warm water, basically increase the blood flow to the tip, it should be fine soon.

Ok this is general remedy, let me know if it helps else, I have a few more questions that will help diagnose the issue.
BTW I am a doc :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

No it will not be shown in the routine blood test, besides, necrosis is not easy to detect in blood test at all, you need to have a biopsy or at the least FNAC done to confirm it.
Original post by Rising_Sun
No it will not be shown in the routine blood test, besides, necrosis is not easy to detect in blood test at all, you need to have a biopsy or at the least FNAC done to confirm it.

& rabies don't forget..

Quick Reply

Latest