Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain how we calculate the enthalpy change of a reaction and how i would draw a hess's cycle for it ?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what values you have been given, i.e. enthalpy change of formation or combustion.
    Name:  Photo on 08-06-2016 at 09.51.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  97.1 KBIf you add all of the values for a specific reaction pathway/arrow, remembering to multiply enthalpy by the number of moles in the equation for each molecule (e.g. if there was 2H2O in the equation and the enthalpy change of formation was -286kJmol-1, then you would do -286x2 = -572kJ).

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Photo on 08-06-2016 at 10.03.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  62.2 KBThen this, sorry I left this bit out

ReputationRep:
    ah okay thankyou!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.