Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    First of all, apologise if my post sounds arrogant or snobbish. I'll take all the blame if any of you are offended.

My family moved to the UK from a country with totally different culture when I was 17, so I had spent most of my formative years in my home country. I started my A-levels, spoke good English but the first few years was very hard for me culturally. Nevertheless, I started uni last September at 20 (second choice, yay), made good new friends, did uni stuff (going out, getting drunk, tried drugs), joined a sport team and had a good time. I can say I feel at home in the UK now.

My uni is one of the posh-est in the country but also happens to be in a pretty alternative city: exciting alternative nightlife and culture, graffiti, edgy and creative people. Understandably, there's a significant division between the state school and the public school people, aka posh vs edgy, alternative.

I came from a privileged family and went to the best school in my home country, then moved to one of the most expensive areas in the UK with my parents but attended a pretty sketchy UK state school (only 30 people in sixth form, 4 of us including me made it to a Russell group uni), so I had a chance to experience both sides of the table. I tried to be as neutral as possible and made friends with everyone at uni but after one year, I can really feel the significant social divide. I feel pressured to make a conscious choice who I want to be next year.

'Being myself' is not possible as I did not grow up here, and I feel equally connected/detached from both identities due to my conflicting background. What should I do? I'm pretty sure I will settle in the UK after graduating so I think it's necessary to have a solid background, identity and network from now on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pearadas)
    First of all, apologise if my post sounds arrogant or snobbish. I'll take all the blame if any of you are offended.

My family moved to the UK from a country with totally different culture when I was 17, so I had spent most of my formative years in my home country. I started my A-levels, spoke good English but the first few years was very hard for me culturally. Nevertheless, I started uni last September at 20 (second choice, yay), made good new friends, did uni stuff (going out, getting drunk, tried drugs), joined a sport team and had a good time. I can say I feel at home in the UK now.

My uni is one of the posh-est in the country but also happens to be in a pretty alternative city: exciting alternative nightlife and culture, graffiti, edgy and creative people. Understandably, there's a significant division between the state school and the public school people, aka posh vs edgy, alternative.

I came from a privileged family and went to the best school in my home country, then moved to one of the most expensive areas in the UK with my parents but attended a pretty sketchy UK state school (only 30 people in sixth form, 4 of us including me made it to a Russell group uni), so I had a chance to experience both sides of the table. I tried to be as neutral as possible and made friends with everyone at uni but after one year, I can really feel the significant social divide. I feel pressured to make a conscious choice who I want to be next year.

'Being myself' is not possible as I did not grow up here, and I feel equally connected/detached from both identities due to my conflicting background. What should I do? I'm pretty sure I will settle in the UK after graduating so I think it's necessary to have a solid background, identity and network from now on.
    Nothing you are doing is wrong.
    Neither can you change others
    Move on with your life!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.