Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me? Or was that the worst exam ever.

ReputationRep:
    I AGREE LIKE wtf even was that

ReputationRep:
    Yes it was horrible!

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys reckon grade boundaries will be like? I probs lost 15 marks at least :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph-carys)
    What do you guys reckon grade boundaries will be like? I probs lost 15 marks at least :/
    Same. I got 100 ums in both M1 and M2 last year and I feel as though I lost at least 10-15 marks in this one. I've never seen anything so harsh as that last question in an A-level exam. It even beats the 8 mark moments question in M2 last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Slice of Pi)
    Same. I got 100 ums in both M1 and M2 last year and I feel as though I lost at least 10-15 marks in this one. I've never seen anything so harsh as that last question in an A-level exam. It even beats the 8 mark moments question in M2 last year.
    Well I guess that's somewhat reassuring.... I ran out of time, and drew up diagrams for the final question but didn't manage to do any calculations... so that's 8 marks gone :/ Plus the final part of the collisions question, where the ball rebounds off the wall at an angle perpendicular to the other ball? Idek man that was horrible :/

I'm hoping something like 50 for an A...

ReputationRep:
    Well I guess that's somewhat reassuring.... I ran out of time, and drew up diagrams for the final question but didn't manage to do any calculations... so that's 8 marks gone :/ Plus the final part of the collisions question, where the ball rebounds off the wall at an angle perpendicular to the other ball? Idek man that was horrible :/

I'm hoping something like 50 for an A...
    At least I'm not alone then. I got the answer for the 8 marker at the end, but misread the 5 marker and lost at least 3 of those marks for using the wrong angle. This is what that 8 mark question involved:
    1) drawing two velocity triangles and making them into one quadrilateral
    2) Introduce an unknown angle theta (which isn't an obvious step) and use sine rule twice to eliminate the common diagonal of the quadrilateral (velocity of truck)
    3) At this point you end up with a very complicated expression involving the sin(a+b) formula. Dividing through by cos gives an expression in tan theta. From here we get theta = 47. something degrees, and adding on 270 gives the bearing to be 317. something degrees, which rounds to 318.
    4) Put the angle back into the sine rule formula for the velocity of the truck.

It was quite literally the most complex question I've seen on an A-level maths paper, and it wouldn't look out of place in as STEP exam.

ReputationRep:
    At least I'm not alone then. I got the answer for the 8 marker at the end, but misread the 5 marker and lost at least 3 of those marks for using the wrong angle. This is what that 8 mark question involved:
    1) drawing two velocity triangles and making them into one quadrilateral
    2) Introduce an unknown angle theta (which isn't an obvious step) and use sine rule twice to eliminate the common diagonal of the quadrilateral (velocity of truck)
    3) At this point you end up with a very complicated expression involving the sin(a+b) formula. Dividing through by cos gives an expression in tan theta. From here we get theta = 47. something degrees, and adding on 270 gives the bearing to be 317. something degrees, which rounds to 318.
    4) Put the angle back into the sine rule formula for the velocity of the truck.

It was quite literally the most complex question I've seen on an A-level maths paper, and it wouldn't look out of place in as STEP exam.
    Jeeeeeeez.... bloody well done for getting that then!! If I had had more time I probably would've tried converting everything into vectors and forming simultaneous equations

ReputationRep:
    Jeeeeeeez.... bloody well done for getting that then!! If I had had more time I probably would've tried converting everything into vectors and forming simultaneous equations
    I don't even know if that would've helped. It would've been horrible either way tbh. In 2014, you needed at least 59 for an A* in core 4 so hopefully we can expect something similar.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know if that would've helped. It would've been horrible either way tbh. In 2014, you needed at least 59 for an A* in core 4 so hopefully we can expect something similar.
    Okay, fingers crossed! Luckily my M3 grade doesn't affect my uni offer anyway :3

ReputationRep:
    Okay, fingers crossed! Luckily my M3 grade doesn't affect my uni offer anyway :3
    Are you doing M2 this year?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.