Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I came the following difficult question.
    The curve C with equation y=x3+3x2-3x is reflected in the line y=x onto the curve C'.
    (a) Find the equation of the curve C'.
    (b) Find the equation of the line L, which is tangent to both curve C and curve C'.
    [Your equation for L should be in its exact form. No credit will be given for any solutions found using differentiation.]
    This is actually a difficult question. Any ideas?
    Name:  Tangents.png
Views: 34
Size:  42.4 KBDiagram

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano123)
    I came the following difficult question.
    The curve C with equation y=x3+3x2-3x is reflected in the line y=x onto the curve C'.
    (a) Find the equation of the curve C'.
    (b) Find the equation of the line L, which is tangent to both curve C and curve C'.
    [Your equation for L should be in its exact form. No credit will be given for any solutions found using differentiation.]
    Wth why would they ban differentiation what's the point haha. What level is that question from? Also Is there a diagram for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nayzar)
    Wth why would they ban differentiation what's the point haha. What level is that question from? Also Is there a diagram for it?
    It's FP1, there is a diagram. But I haven't taken a picture of the question. I'll upload one.
    Name:  Tangents.png
Views: 36
Size:  42.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    I think that the biggest hint that I can give you is that the question is much easier than you seem to think it is. Another hint in the spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Think about the relationship between the line L and the line y = x.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    I think that the biggest hint that I can give you is that the question is much easier than you seem to think it is. Another hint in the spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Think about the relationship between the line L and the line y = x.
    It has gradient of -1 right? I know that and have seen questions like this before. But why does it have to be -1? What's an intuitive way of understanding this?

ReputationRep:
    What's an intuitive way of understanding this?
    Look for symmetries.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have an answer?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    I could be missing a trick but the answer isn't at all obvious to me.

If we zoom out a bit, then we can see there are two lines meeting the question's criterion.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Size:  56.2 KB

And the algebra was a bit tortourous (and I got it wrong!); looking for a repeated root in the equation -x+c =x3+3x2-3x

And if we change the equations slightly, by adding 3 say, then there are even more solutions and the additional ones are not perpendicular to the line of symmetry:

Attachment 545941545943
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for delay; got called away. It's clear from symmetry that the slope of the line is -1. So the equation of the line can be expressed as  y = \alpha - x. We need to find \alpha. This line is tangent to the original curve, so we need to find \alpha such that x^3 + 3x^2 -3x = \alpha - x has a double root at some value of x = a. (It is tangent there and intersects the curve for some smaller value of y not plotted on the original graph). So, solve the equation x^3 + 3x^2 -2x -\alpha = (x-a)^2(x-b) for the value of a. You should find that the same equation that calculus will give drops out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    I could be missing a trick but the answer isn't at all obvious to me.

If we zoom out a bit, then we can see there are two lines meeting the question's criterion.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Size:  56.2 KB
    PRSOM. I assumed that the picture given was part of the question and therefore the line shown was what was required. Then the algebra reduces to finding a double root (with the line intercepting the original curve, as you have shown, for a more negative value of y).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help. I did get the answer but I used the discriminant and set it equal to 0 for the intersection of y=c-x and found c by solving the quadratic formed in c. As ghostwalker said there are actually 2 lines, but L is indicate don the diagram. The repeated root method is a nice one as well but I didn't think to do this.
    There's nothing you lot can't do it seems.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.