Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    My student lets company have been terrible; they never get anything fixed, we never received garage keys, they didn't give us appropriate notice for house viewings and they are generally just crap. But our contract was due to end at the end of July (thus we have to pay for July) and some of us wanted to stay until it was up. However, my housemate just phoned up to pay for June and they told her that some people are moving in in the first week of July so we have to be out! This has completely messed up some plans and they haven't even had the courtesy to send the rest of us an e-mail to tell us. I really do not want to pay for June now since they have messed up about. Anyone have any advice or tips? Any help would be much appreciated
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by amyy92)
    Hi,
    My student lets company have been terrible; they never get anything fixed, we never received garage keys, they didn't give us appropriate notice for house viewings and they are generally just crap. But our contract was due to end at the end of July (thus we have to pay for July) and some of us wanted to stay until it was up. However, my housemate just phoned up to pay for June and they told her that some people are moving in in the first week of July so we have to be out! This has completely messed up some plans and they haven't even had the courtesy to send the rest of us an e-mail to tell us. I really do not want to pay for June now since they have messed up about. Anyone have any advice or tips? Any help would be much appreciated
    I would speak to CAB or shelter but you shouldn't have to pay for when you aren't living there so personally i wouldnt pay.

ReputationRep:
    you don't have any standing to withhold rent you are due to pay regardless of what your landlord does or doesn't do, it doesn't matter if they break contract

if they don't give you notice on viewings don't let the people in and if they insist kick up a huge fuss in front of them about having no notice and they will soon clear off

check your contract for how much notice you have to have from the landlord if they end your contract (since it's meant to end in July) as it may be they haven't given enough notice and can't get you to leave

ReputationRep:
    Well since its meant to end at the end of july just don't leave. Pay the rent and stay. They can't legally make you leave.

It's not your problem when the new tenants turn up with their stuff at the start of july expecting to move in. It's your letting agents problem to sort them out for a month.

ReputationRep:
    Look at your contract. What does it say about length of tenancy? If it's a fixed term what is the date it ends on? And is there a break clause? If it's not fixed term then what notice do you need to be given?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.